An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Xanax to come down off meth

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by primalclaws1974, Jan 20, 2015.

1. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

First off, I want to say that long ago I tried Xanax recreationally, and I didn't think it was that great, but I have known many people who used/abused/were addicted to it. The majority of the people that I have known that used Xanax illegally were the ones that used them to come down off a meth bender. One woman I dated (for a very short time). She ended up being more addicted to Xanax than she had ever been with meth. Like any substance that has a potential of abuse, I think some people are more prone to be addicted to a certain drug more than others. Xanax was her's. Have you heard of people getting hooked on Xanax because they used it to come down off other drugs?
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I used to do this with any stimulant crash. Not necessarily with Xanax, but any benzodiazepine I could get my hands on at the time. Also did this with hallucinogens when things got to heavy and I needed an abort button. All of my friends did that. I actually had one friend who would put a lorazepam under his tongue a couple minutes before doing a shot of whatever opiate he had that day. He sobered up in terms of opiates but the last time we spoke he was still having issues with klonopins, which is basically the same things as Xanax. No withdrawal symptoms have anything on benzo withdrawal, it's brutal.
  3. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

Benzodiazapenes like Xanax are what they give you at the hospital if you have a stimulant overdose, so I could see them as being useful for when you have taken too much meth. The danger with benzos, though, is that the withdrawals can kill you. Meth, although generally more addictive, has much less horrible withdrawals and the withdrawals cannot kill you. So while many will see it as a less serious drug, Xanax abuse can actually lead to worse physical symptoms for people.