An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Xanax Withdrawal Symptoms

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Survivor21, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Survivor21

Survivor21 Member

Hey everyone,

As I've shared previously, I have a cousin who is struggling with a prolonged addiction to Xanax. I was wondering whether there's anyone here who has suffered from the same and would like to share their experience, particularly regarding the withdrawal symptoms that occur during treatment.

I'm trying my best to be there for my cousin, and having some feedback from someone who has gone
    through the same would be really, really helpful.

Thank you so much!
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hi Survivor21,
    I can't say Xanax was my drug of choice, but here are some known withdrawal symptoms. I imagine these would occur without a medicated detox at a treatment center.
    • Anxiety.
    • Panic.
    • Hallucination.
    • Insomnia.
    • Moodiness.
    • Tremors.
    • Convulsion.
    • Nightmares.
    Here's more info on benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome.
  3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I never used Xanax for relieving any pain given. The hallucinations would freak me out too. The insomnia would just have me awake all night.
  4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I've tried Xanax a few times and I didn't like it, but I knew a couple of people with that addiction, I don't think they ever tried to quit, but when they didn't have it immediately the symptoms were pretty much like you say Jen.
  5. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

I take clonazepam (aka Klonopin) for anxiety. I had a friend who was a heroin addict that said benzodiazepine addiction is worse than heroin addiction. I care fully monitor what I take and never exceed more than 1 mg/ day. Addicts will take 10 mg+/ day easy.

I have skipped doses and when I first started taking it I did not know how severe withdrawal can be and stopped taking it just like that for almost a week. A few of the symptoms Jen mentioned are what I experienced. Increased anxiety for no reason, panic attacks, shaking. I had absolutely NO appetite. So I would add that to the list.
  6. Gelsemium

Why does your friend says that? I find hard to believe that there is a drug that is more addiction than to heroin... Usually that can happen, if you take a drug for anxiety and you stop the anxiety return.
  7. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Wow! none of those withdrawal symptoms are light , they are all difficult to deal with.
    Jen S. likes this.
  8. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Definitely. I think withdrawal in general is rough, regardless of the drug. Some are definitely more severe than others.
  9. Gelsemium

True, but before we start we are not aware of that. I wonder if we were if it would make any difference...
  10. mark973

mark973 Member

Iv'e had a family member who had withdrawal symptoms to a similar drug. He was just tired/weak most of the time but it went away after a couple weeks.
  11. Ohyesuare

Ohyesuare Member

I have gone through Xanax withdrawal symptoms myself as I was prescribed to take it for anxiety. I had very strong feelings of suicide, shortness of breath and just feeling really low. The feelings of suicide were the scariest because it was like someone was telling me and trying to convince me non-stop to go jump off the balcony and kill myself. Not sure if this will work for everyone but I just suffered through it and after a few days all symptoms stopped. It helped that my girlfriend was with me most of the time because I think it would have been a lot harder without her.
  12. Xanax withdrawals can be very dangerous due to the delirium tremens. I would highly recommend detoxing only under the supervision of a doctor. That said, hallucinations and anxiety were the biggest symptoms I experienced.
  13. Gelsemium

That is why it is so important to have the help of someone who has been there, that experience can be precious and can help us get clean and get a real life.