An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Xanax's Increased Popularity in College Campuses.

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by hellonamesdana, Jan 7, 2015.

1. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I didn't know this until I was actually living on a college campus this past semester, but apparently a lot of kids are looking for Xanax for their personal consumption.
    Is this something that a lot of kids these days are looking for?
    I mean, this is why I was terrified of getting my own roommate, because I was worried about someone stealing my drugs. I still am. I don't want to get into any legal trouble because someone ODed on my prescription medications! But knowing that college students will basically take whatever they can get their hands on makes me nervous.
  2. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

I had no idea that Xanax was the "new drug" among the college crowd. When I was in college, the drug of choice was adderall to stay awake and give students more focus. I get it that anxiety runs rampant everywhere..even in college campuses. But what does a student gain by taking Xanax and then falling asleep during an exam?
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

It sounds like they are looking for a mood changer rather than an energy boost in colleges now. I don't think they are using for the purpose of keeping up, but they are using to cope with other anxiety issues they are having in school. Perhaps the anxiety is making it difficult to concentrate for some, but Xanax probably isn't the best option, since it will just make them fall asleep.
  4. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

I've been removed from the campus culture for a little more than a decade now. It's interesting how culture can change in such a small amount of time. What is causing the shift? I know Juno mentioned that college students are having a difficult time battling stress and anxiety, but does anyone think there is an underlying reason? Has the quality of care on campuses changed? Is it simply a generational change?
  5. mommyof4

mommyof4 Member

I have a college student and he has told me the same thing. He told me that everyone is looking for Xanax to calm them down. They claim that college is so stressful that it helps keep them calm and in control so they can keep up with everything. It is so scary to think that they have not learned how to coop with stress because they believe there is a magic pill to fix everything.
  6. meenz

meenz Member

I'm actually only slightly surprised by the fact that this is now happening. It's sad, honestly.
    College students are very stressed out by all of their assignments, so it's not a surprise that they would turn to a drug that soothes their anxieties.
    It just shows you how messed up today's educational system is; kids are turning to drugs to help them feel better.
  7. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

I've heard about this. The under 21s like it because your RA won't suspect you're drunk and search your room (unless you do a lot). You can get messed up off it and not be puking and whatnot.

There are obvious worse effects though like memory loss and EXTREME loss if inhibitions at higher doses. I think if we just let over 18s drink alcohol we'd have a lot less "trendy drug" problems in colleges in the US.
  8. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think nowadays many want more energy to be alert and not do things by themselves and, don't want to work hard unlike when I was in high school students would work hard and try to do well in school. It is sad when they turn to xanax to try to solve problems it may work for some time, but the costs will slowly start to make them think it is not the right way and need to stop doing it. It may seem good now but, when the addiction starts that is when they will lose control and let it rule over them and ruin their health and life over a drug.