An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

1. Wordsmith75

Wordsmith75 Member

I guess my problem started later than most. I used to drink Friday/Saturday nights (6 to 8 beers) and a few on a Wednesday or Thursday night (maybe 4 or 5) so pretty standard fare for someone in their 20's. For me I can pinpoint a particular week when I was about 26 when my girlfriend went away for a month and things started to change. I bought a bottle of wine on the first night then went back to the shop and bought 2 beers and drank all of that alone. The next night I thought **** it I'll get more booze in as there is a football match on the T.V so I had the same (wine and beer) Night 3 was the same and so on.
    At the end of the week it dawned on me I'd been drunk every single night. Wow I thought, that's not like me. But from that point onwards proggressively it did become like me. I started taking an interest in Football almost as an excuse to go to the pub alone and stare at a screen during the daytime at weekends and pour 4 pints down my neck. I started buying wine on the way back from the pub.
    In my life up to that point I'd see 3 consecutive days of drinking as a massive no no. Just something that wasn't acceptable. For some reason during that week it changed for ever. Almost as if I'd stopped caring. I used to notice how bad I looked after a nights drinking but I guess looking bad became usual in the end.
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

This seems like a story I have read elsewhere.
    Oh yea now I remember! It's very common way to drop into alcoholism.
    All my friends drank beer every night, so I drank beer with them.
    Then I started having a beer or two alone.
    My boss had a bottle on the desk (It was different times back then) so hey I can bring a beer in my lunch.
    Before I knew it I was drinking more beer alone in one day then I used to drink in a month.
    If you think you are going this way, stop before it's too late.
    Take your life back!
    Rainman likes this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Agreed. Proceeding as you are down that path would get you in a dark place you don't want to be. Action must be taken now to avoid the pain, depression and losses that will come with an addiction to alcohol. It would be relatively easier now to fight what will end up being an addiction [if you continue drinking as you do currently].
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there @Wordsmith75! Well, thank you for sharing your story to us here. It sounds like you already want to stop drinking but feels like you can't do it because you have gotten used to the alcohol now and the routine of it all. It may be a little difficult to quit right now, but if you wouldn't try, you will never know how fulfilling being sober is. I hope there would come a time that you would realize all of these things and be able to start recovering.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Wow... I started like that as well. I hope you are on your rad to recovery, OP? I know how hard it can be to stop drinking, because the temptations are always there and there are so many! It's so easy to buy alcohol, where I live you can find it almost everywhere. Most little grocery stores sell alcohol nowadays. I don't know what I'd have done if I hadn't gotten my gallbladder removed years prior to this (my lack of gallbladder made it harder for me to handle alcohol) because now I find things like tequila so disgusting...
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Sounds like what someone does when their girlfriend actually left for good. You'd maybe go on binders like that when it was your fault she left. Drinking like everything changed and you didn't care any more. Yeah, well that explains a lot. If she's coming back in a month why would anyone go for broke?
    I'm thinking of this guy I know who was completely wrong for me and I drank endlessly to drink the whole situation away as if that would work. You come out of it and they are still calling you. I just imagine him doing what you are saying. It's like him attempting to do the same thing I did while in it. Going on a binder because somebody left seems like you are escaping yourself. You can't stand yourself, someone like this anyway. Almost like you hate yourself without that person. Maybe you felt that way before that person but she made you realize it because she was no longer there to make you feel something different about yourself. She made you feel good and happy, about yourself. You see a man really falls for a woman when she makes him feel a certain way about himself. This is the way to make anyone fall in love with you. It has to be about how you make them feel, not the other way around. Not even how you make them feel about you, but how they feel about themselves. Inspire them love them, encourage them like they can do anything. See them as them as the great person they are or could be.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Alcoholism is probably one of the worst addictions to have because you technically do not have to hide the fact that you are drinking. It is not illegal like a heroin or meth addiction and you can walk into just about any store to get your drinks. It may start out as innocent drinking with friends and family, and eventually grow into a serious problem. Keep fighting and beat the addiction!
    deanokat likes this.
  9. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

I agree with you @Rosyrain. Noone goes after someone who is abusing alcohol and this gives people a reason to rationalize the habit. What you are going through @Wordsmith75 is the making of alcoholism. Try and get a hold of yourself before it overcomes your will to quit. Goodluck!