An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Yoga and Breathing

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kevinkimers, Nov 22, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

Impromptu of @Serena thread on Yoga I found this article that talks about how yoga and breathing techniques can aid in helping with addictions.

It list all the benefits of Yoga and Breathing techniques in helping with coping. Apparently it is gaining popularity with rehab centers.

Link to article.
  2. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I'm not yoga fan because of its ties with Hinduism and eastern philosophy, but breathing exercises are a great way to calm down the body and focus the mind, which will help one get through a craving.
  3. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Yoga is a ancient method of keeping your body, mind and spirit in order. It can be like a preventative or curative medicine. Obviously, if there is an imbalance, it will take a few months or even longer to correct it, but the power of correct breathing techniques, meditation, and special exercises will go a very long way. And most important, the effects will be long lasting.
  4. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Yoga is a great practice for increasing self-awareness and self-control, whether you buy into the underlying philosophies or not. You can easily practice Yoga and create your own philosophies while following the basic tenets of this practice. I'd recommend it for everything from dealing with addiction to simply getting into better shape, to be honest.
  5. kevinkimers

I've heard from some of those who do yoga, at first your so preoccupied with what you are doing that mentally there is no difference. After a while, you began to fall into a peacefulness while doing it. The chaos of your mind begins to calm and your thinking starts to clear.

One day I have to try it, a tornado has nothing on mind. LOL
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Nice to read those kind of articles cause these could be helpful.
    I have not tried yoga but I have read a lot of good things about it already online. Might worth trying for those who have the opportunity to do so.
  7. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

I know someone who is into yoga. She even held classes for some of us in the workplace. I tell you she is one calm lady. Our workplace is one stressful place to be in primarily because of some people's moody and cranky attitude. During her years of stay with us, I saw her lost her composure just once. And during that time she did breathing exercises then cracked a joke about it. And she was all right after. So yoga seems to be good to everyone.
  8. caparica007

caparica007 Active Contributor

I've never tried yoga, but I could try if I felt that it could help me getting rid of my addiction, it's a war so anything goes.
  9. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Thanks for adding to the discussion and linking such a great article. I am glad to see that rehab centers are beginning to see the validity and benefits that yoga and deep breathing can bring in to the lives of those going on the road to sobriety. I really like that the article points out that yoga and deep breathing helps with will power. This is extremely important when trying to become sober and staying sober. The article also mentions how yoga helps with cleansing the body, which is extremely important when fighting addiction.
  10. kevinkimers

No problem. I strongly believe that yoga is great for all aspects of life because it not only concentrations on the body... it works on the mind. Once the mind is at peace it makes fighting addictions easier.
  11. Buddy101

Buddy101 Member

Yoga in breathing you should really try that could relieve a lot of stress that you are going through let the yoga just guide you. You will feel much better the second you start yoga if will build your emotions up to a good level.
  12. caparica007

Yeah, why not? There are thousands and thousand of people around the world doing it, it has to be good or else people would not do it.
  13. kevinkimers

Yoga has gained quite a following over the years. It has been proven to be much more healthier and easier on your body then jogging or aerobics. More and more people are turning to yoga as a form of exercise and relaxation. A form of yoga has been used by martial arts masters and Buddhist monks for centuries. I can't remember the name of it, but they use it as a way of keeping the body toned and the mind relaxed. If it did not work, it would not have been used for thousands of years. I heard it was a great method for anger management to.
  14. caparica007

I think that yoga is related to the new wave and all this spiritual thing, so people believe they are more spiritual if they do it and maybe they are, who knows.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think yoga is alright and I'm sure it does help with coping, but I wonder if it's necessarily the yoga itself that helps or if it's just the breathing and meditation as well as maybe providing a placebo for people to feel more empowered or centered. Regardless, if it works, it works, and I'm pretty sure it's not harmful and obviously it's way better than the alternative which is to remain a slave to addiction.
  16. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I think yoga is definitely good for flexibility and breathing. It's not for me as I've taken classes before, and I never really enjoyed them. However, for some of my friends, they definitely feel much more relaxed and in tune mentally after their sessions. Once again, it all depends on the person. If it helps people, then that's great!