New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Yoga for Mind-Body Recovery

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by Joyner, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Joyner

Joyner Member

Has anyone tried yoga for mind and body recovery? I would be a complete beginner to the practice, and I would like to know if it helps. I know that yoga was very fashionable for fitness in the late 90s and early 00s, but I'm mainly thinking of yoga to heal the mind as well as body. I know that numerous studies have cited the benefits of yoga to improve breathing, heart rate, and even relax the neurons in the brain. I believe the most traditional yoga is part of ancient religious practice in order to connect with perhaps strength greater than yourself.

The yoga most familiar to the Western world is Hatha yoga (i.e. the familiar Lotus pose, etc). But there is also Bikram yoga, Ashtanga Yoga, and Kundalini yoga, to name a few that I've heard of. I heard that bikram really helps you sweat it out and is a workout. And the actress Lisa Edelstein does Ashtantga yoga for 2 hours every morning, and she credits it for her slim body and happy disposition at almost 50 years old. She says she will do it every day, even if she has to get up at 3 am in the morning. With that kind of testimonial, I may start with Ashtanga yoga first. Has anyone done it, and how do you suggest to get started?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not tried it but I have read some details about it like its possible benefits. I think it can be done with a yoga instructor or just self learning it. There will be lots of video sources or tutorials in the internet.
  3. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Yoga is very relaxing and I can totally see how it could be beneficial. I have always wanted to go to a professional yoga class, but I seem to have the same results from watching YouTube. It is a cool thing that we can experience almost anything on the net.
  4. juno

juno Community Champion