An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

You are much more than just your body.

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Lizel, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I know many people who spend too much time on criticizing how they look.
    They waste valuable time which passes forever on thinking about their defects and flaws.
    Guys, you must release that your body isn't your life!
    Your face isn't your life, accept your looks just how they are and stop thinking about them all the time.
    Get rid of the negativity and the negative thoughts and just get on with the important things.
    Don't hate on your body and your face that's what helps you move, communicate, think, breath.
    You are so much more than your "outside", your mind is the most important part in you because
    you can do whatever you want to do with it. Today, tommorrow, in a week you can change your outlook on life and live happier. It's just your decision.
  2. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Great post with some great advice especially to young women. Don't let society paint a picture about how one should look to be classified as beautiful and desirable. We were all born the way we were and trying to change our physical appearance through surgery only shows how unhappy we are with ourselves.
  3. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Exactly, we should accept our looks just the way they are. It's our thoughts that make us feel let down.
    We are all damn beautiful in our own way, and **** who ever doesn't like how we look like.
    It's not their life, only our life and it's our look not their look. We should get on with what we like to do!
  4. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

The innermost beauty is the most important element of an individual. The heart is what matters most and to most of us,looks can be deceiving. Every individual is uniquely made and we are all made in the image of God. We must learn to accept our defects and flaws if we are to live a peaceful life without worrying so much about others opinions.
  5. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

God created us in our own image and we should be grateful that we had given the chance to had that existence in life as human beings. Our outside physical appearance is not what other people are looking at us it is the inner beauty of our heart. Beauty is useless if you are not doing good to other people. In the eyes of other people even if you do not have the good looks but you have a kind heart you will be most like and love by them..
  6. juno

juno Community Champion

A very poignant statement about how ruminating over looks can bring you down and lead to other negative actions. It is very true that your outside cannot truly depict everything inside of you and everything that you are about. Your true self is inside of you beckoning to come out through different modes of expression.
  7. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

We have to work with what we have, our body helps us to move from a to b, we shouldn't pick on that, we should be proud that we have a body, because some people don't have legs or hands and they can be still happy with their lifes!
    And guess why they are happy? Because they're not just their body, they are something else, something deeper.
    They live in their thoughts and in their mind, and that's why they can be happy of their lifes because they think
    positively most of the time, and they got rid of the negativity of their thoughts! That's the key to happiness.
    To real happiness.
  8. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

That's true, but some people can't realize that.
    They spent their worth much time on thinking about how they could look.
    What are their imperfections and flaws and they just constantly relook and relook at them,
    and that's why they feel so bad about theirselves. That's mainly why I did this topic,
    so that people realize that they are so much more than their looks!
  9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@Lizel it is just so sad why other people are too much worried about their own looks and how they look at other people. Where ever they belong to this kind of people instead of focusing on this thing there are many other important things in life that we should give attention to make us happy and contented within ourselves. God create all living things beautiful here on earth and human beings are part it. No one is ugly in the eyes of God and if we will change the looks what God had given us in the end when it is already time for us to depart in this world and return our life that we borrowed from Him it doesn't matter how we look when we face Him in other life.
  10. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

I have learned through the years to focus more on what's comfortable, instead of being too vain. Beauty is nothing but temporary and you're right, what's within your body is much more important than exterior beauty of the body. It's pointless if you are very pretty but have a very bad attitude. I would rather spend time fixing my personality than constantly beautifying my body. That's more long term.
  11. BobPopporro

BobPopporro Active Contributor

thanks for sharing your thoughts, and this is so true.
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agreed. I think too often people forget to factor in this aspect when thinking of people who may be going through some troubles, which is unfortunate because just knowing it could mean that we could remind people of this exact message and maybe it would help them a bit more in keeping their thoughts healthier. There's too much outside influences when it comes to this topic but sadly not enough people know enough to counteract it with some guidance and positive reinforcement both in themselves and for others.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It's true. Takes some people a good amount of time to get to an understanding of this. The internet, social media, and all of this make it ten times more on the forefront of people's mind.
    The superficial. Those not having or showing any depth of character, well, if that is the focus. This is were they may stay, on the surface of themselves. Living in their vanity.
    "You are very comfortable with yourself." not wearing any makeup. Paint a smile, paint your face and put it on. It doesn't do anything but create this mask that you've got to keep up. Like Joan Jetson in that cartoon The Jetsons she would get in front of her telephone screen and hold up this mask that had her makeup. This way when she had a call they would see her with her face on without doing the work.
    I was just thinking about scars today. They use to be something that would really bother me to think about as a teenager. But now I don't even begin to think of them that way. I can sort of just notice them and think of why they are there. It is definitely character. It's like people who are proud of their gray hair. It's all interesting really. Perfection on the outside is there when you are young, but perfection on the inside takes decades. I'll try for getting that in a few months. Lol
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I couldn't agree more with you. When I was in high school, I admit I was a little insecure. I would often ask myself, "Why am I not that skinny? Why am I not as pretty as this lady? Why am I not that tall?" But later on in life, I have realized that physical appearance doesn't matter at all. It's the attitude of a person which is more important.
  15. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

It is just in our society today to over obsess about image, and we just need to know that it is all relative and beaut is in the eye of the beholder and all of that, and that it goes far beyond looks. There is too much out there to be enjoyed and celebrated to be overly concerned with how we look to others.
  16. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Unfortunately, looks do matter. It's what dictates someone's immediate impression of who you are and what kind of person you are. If you're a beautiful girl, a man would usually be nice to you and consider you someone who lives in a nice house and has a great life, but they won't take things further if they find out you're an idiot. If you're overweight or "ugly" then a man wouldn't really care about you and would disregard you as just another person in public. Same applies if you're a guy. It's like that at school, it's like that at parties. Luckily, a real girl gets a real man and vice versa. Girls who have everything on the outside but have empty heads, don't get guys who love them, they get guys who want them for what they are, not who they are. So it's up to you to be that kind of person or not.

That shouldn't mean that you can walk around scrawny and dirty, not caring at all about how you look because even if you don't care about your own perception of yourself, others do and it helps to make a good impression because people will respect you more. I always dress appropriately and make sure I look right in public, especially in a professional environment. I'm saying all this from a male's perspective, hence the reference to girls.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Ah, I'm guilty of often critiquing my own body - and it's sad because I don't want to pass that sort of attitude down to my daughter! She's only one but I think kids do learn early and they pick up on what their parents do - and the last thing I want for her is her thinking that she is anything less than amazing!
  18. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

Yea self appearance can be a huge aspect in ones life. I blame media and expectations set out. Just be yourself learn to love yourself and use your image as a tool. By all means if you wanna feel good and look good there is nothing wrong with that. Just don't do it for others if not only for yourself. :)
  19. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

According to Buddhism, human beings are made up of mind and matter. Mind implies your consciousness and matter is the physical entity. In Hinduism, human body is made up of consciousness, physical body and soul. Both of these belief systems say we are more than the body.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  20. serenity

serenity Community Champion

People nowadays are too obsessed with looking good to the point that they get plastic surgeries to correct it, and I really think that it's not necessary. People should be content with what God has given them and should not alter their looks. It doesn't help that the media puts an emphasis on being sexy and looking good, that's why people get insecure.