An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

You are much more than just your body.

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Lizel, Feb 22, 2015.

1. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on body perception, Lizel. A lot of people need assurance that they're beautiful the way they are and there's no need for them to change their physical appearance to please others or adhere to media's manufactured definition of beauty.
  2. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Nowadays, people look at themselves with reference to an ideal image. I believe the beauty in this world lies not in perception of the ideal, but in the diversity of our looks, personalities and idiosyncracies. Each person is unique and beautiful in their own way and has flaws in equal measure. Its time people capitalized on their strengths rather them their weaknesses.
  3. integrity101

integrity101 Active Contributor

Thanks for reminding us of what truly matters in life: the inner you. Your inner self, unlike the temporary exterior, defines who you truly are and what you stand for. When you discover your inner self you'll have found your true value, purpose, vision, motivation, goals, beliefs, and everything you need to achieve your highest potential. When you deviate from the seldom trodden path of self-awareness and waste your time and resources struggling to look good or sexy, as defined by some vague standard set by a pop idol somewhere, you'll only end up living an empty and unfulfilled life. Beauty and material things never last forever but a good name just might.
  4. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, but sadly it's hard to get rid of all of those ideas that society has made us believe of what's pretty what's not, what's wrong and what's right, but as you've said, I think that the first step is accepting yourself just the way you are, the good and the bad things, accept that we are all humans, we are all valid and unique on a certain way.
  5. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

God created us first as a Spirit that lives in a body while we are on this earth. Our spirit can never die, but our bodies can and when they die we will leave and return to our home. In fact the bible says that we are aliens on this earth always longing for something better. We need to develop the ability to see the Spirit contained in the body we see, because they most often do not look the same. You are right, we are so much more than a body and the best part is often hidden.
  6. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

To be honest, it's hard to not focus on your looks when society places such great emphasis on it. And oh, media as well. See those commercials with the women who have perfect bodies? Or maybe that billboard with the flawless model? And how many times has there been an issue with edited pictures in magazines using Photoshop? You see, all these has affected our body perceptions or even our perceptions of how we look.

It's especially difficult to look ordinary, not care on your wardrobe or your face if you are bombarded with these images. I mean, each time I go out looking like I just woke from bed, I cringe because women around me look so polished and beautiful. It can certainly affect your self-esteem if you aren't as good looking as other people.

And maybe that's the problem... We constantly compare ourselves with other people. And the more we see that we're not attractive enough, the more it hurts our ego. It's difficult not to compare though... That's something I struggle with everyday.
  7. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I am definitely agree with you, some people should start thinking beyond their body andrealize it is not all about what their bodies ask them to do/get, people should leadn to control themselves and get organized.
  8. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Awesome topic! Thanks for starting this thread with some terrific advice, Lizel. My sister and I, like our grandmother and her sister, are about eight years apart. Though her friends have begun mistaking me for her as I've passed the age of forty, I look in the mirror and see differences. I can go completely gray and be comfortable still noticing my lines are few and my eyes are a more beautiful blue than they've ever been in my life. I can also color my hair red and enjoy how it makes my skin look creamy and my eyes bluer still - for about a month. I can't remember when I last wore makeup, just lip balm lately.