An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

You can help your Addicted Loved One

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by LeonasSword, Aug 18, 2015.

1. LeonasSword

LeonasSword Active Contributor

My Cousin used to do drugs daily, almost died twice from it. She started going to free support groups that made her change her ways. She saw the dstruction that drugs led to and how she was ashamed she had to keep borrowing money for her drug habits while her boyfriend kept borrowing money from his Grandma to do drugs. If you want to help a loved one, you should look for support groups and invite your addicted loved one to a sit to see if it'll help them, it helped my Cousin.
    Rainman likes this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

AA, NA, etc societies can be of great help to all addicts even those who haven't yet admitted that their addiction is a problem. I know someone who was challenged to attend one AA meeting though he previously believed he wasn't an addict and it did him a lot of good. He decided to battle the addiction and he's been clean since then. Getting a loved one to join a support group certainly can help.
  3. tiffanielove1

tiffanielove1 Member

My mother has been doing drugs since see divorced my father. She started dating my stepdad (a drug dealer) before the divorce was even final. I thought at first it was fine. She wasn't spending all of her money on drugs and she was still a good mom. But as time went on and my mother moved in with my stepdad things went down hill. She alwasy has pills and weed. She was a very involved mom when my parents were still together but now she has no interest in my life since I moved out. Drugs changed my mom, my best friend and now theres nothing I feel I can do because she won't listen to me or anyone else in the family. I know that my mother is still in there but I can't find the strength to talk to her anymore.
  4. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Seeking group support is a great way to make some progress on leaving an addiction behind. I'm glad to hear your cousin is doing better. I think one of the difficult things in many situations is getting the addict to acknowledge they have a problem, and take a step towards fixing it. By going along with them, like you mention, this might help convince them to attend. Even if they don't initially believe they have a problem.
  5. mickella18

mickella18 Active Contributor

Happy to hear of your cousin's progress. Seeking help from a support group is a great step to rehabilitation. In numbers we are stronger.
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Sometimes I look for success stories to end my night. I am glad I found this one and happier your cousin found help. Thanks for sharing this. I hope it helps someone out there who's struggling with an addiction.
  7. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Congratulations on your cousin's progress and your support! It's a very nice thing to see that people actually find drugs destructive and seek help.

I personally have never attended any support group, as I'm a loner myself, but I guess some people cannot make it without a community helping them. This is also a good method to share experiences and learn from others. I wish I was more sociable.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I am going to search for support groups targeted at people trying to quit smoking, so me and my fiance can go together. I think he needs a touch with the reality, and hopefully one of those support groups can offer that to him. Hopefully we can hear the stories of some people who have already experimented those side effects we keep hearing about. Hearing from another living being that might help him reconsider his habit and motivate him to quit.