An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

You Can't Quit Alone?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I saw this somewhere on the net. I don't if it's true or not but I'd like to know what you think of the assertion that it would be nigh impossible for an addict who's battling his addiction alone to overcome it.

Question: does someone who is fighting an addiction have to surround himself with people who'll help him up when he falls [It could be friends or mutual aid societies like AA/NA]?.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have known people who have done it on there own but I would say in most cases they need to be surrounded by supporters. They need the people around them who will be there for them when they are struggling, when they are carving and when and if they fall. I don't think an addict could have too much support. This is a great question and I am interested to see what the other replies will be.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

If the person is very independent then it might work, but of course it's much better if they have a trusted support system that can encourage them and cheer them on and celebrate with them when they have made progress. If the addict is very introverted, then I think his resolve is enough, no need for company.
  4. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

if you are courageous enough, you can easily stop and quit your addiction by your self and without any support, one of my friends, been a smoker for 6 years, and when he decided to stop smoking, he did it alone !! I tried to do like that by my self I couldn't do it, I think i'm not courageous enough !
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think every addiction is different, and as a result so will every recovery! Some people can manage to do it without a support network, but some people find that support network as absolutely critical for their success. The recovery process to me is like a fingerprint - everybody's is unique to themselves.
  6. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

This is a very good topic to discuss. We human beings are Social Beings by nature. When an Addict is alone he is in bad company. My own thoughts cannot heal the disease of addiction. I need help from other recovery addicts who have been down the road i need to go down to recover. Also if one believes in God-which i know is a controversial subject, God heals those who seek him. So i belive us addicts need a support group, maybe therapy for outside issues, medication for mental and emotional problems. My best thinking got me drunk, high, down and out.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

They don't have to as such but I'm pretty sure that surrounding yourself with a good support network would increase your chances of both getting and staying clean.

It's likely that the addict didn't have the correct support in the first place, leading to them getting addicted, so it makes sense to develop a rapport with decent people.
  8. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Support is key.
    Some may go it alone and success and some may not, but why try?
    Having a support network is so helpful!
  9. pstrong1969

Our secrets keep us sick. Most addicts have suffered through abuse, neglect, and all kinds of unspeakable events. Most likely leading us to Addiction. Honestly when I started using, drugs allowed me to feel comfortable in my own skin. But my life became unmanageable when I became addicted.To recovery we have to tak about our secrets to heal our spirits. It's hard at first but its worth it.
  10. pstrong1969

why do you supposse people need to go to therapy. To help them recover from mental and physical and emotional abuse, lifes problems.....etc. That's what AA and NA are for. It's grp. Therapy for addicts. People try church to no avail. I know some people can just quit by themselves but I believe there probably not addicts to begin with.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, yes. No man is an island. He/she would always need someone for support and encouragement specially when he/she is going through recovery. There would be times that he/she would feel really depressed and frustrated, so it's good to have few good friends who would try to lift his/her spirits up.
  12. kariad28

kariad28 Member

Yes you can quit alone if you really want to quit badly. I know from my own experience. It was hard but I did it for my kids. I only had one child at the time and I would smoke here and there. I decided to stop all together because I didn't want my son seeing me smoke and then he would think it was o.k for him to smoke. I had to look at the big picture and he was my reason.
  13. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

When you decide to quit, it's your own decision. Nobody can persuade you to quit until you feel a deep need to stop using or abusing certain substances. Obviously, it helps a lot when you have supportive people around you during your withdrawal period and in general, but their support and help can only ever go so far. In the end it's you who decides to stay sober and on track. Once you realize that, you also understand that you don't have to lean on others when you are down, but that you can learn to trust in your own abilities of finding a balance again when you happen to stumble.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think a lot will depend on the individual. It's certainly possible to quit an addiction on your own, in fact a lot of people would prefer that than get other people involved.

While I do think it's easier surrounded by people who support you, its definitely not impossible to do it solo.
  15. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

It totally depends on the person, there are people who prefer dealing with their problems alone and others don't know how to deal with them without someone who is supporting them. But I think that is easier for someone dealing with an addiction to be surrounded by supporting people, we all need someone to be there on good and bad times!
  16. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

The best advice is always to surround yourself with great people who are ready to help you. It is essential to have a great support system and to be removed from your usual environment if at all possible. This is why going away to rehab gives you the chance of a life time. Going it alone may be for some, but it is not for most.
  17. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

It's such a tragedy that she just couldn't survive. We can take solace in in fact that she's at peace now and not suffering anymore. But, what if this is not a result of drug abuse?
  18. ktdid

ktdid Member

I think that Volkow's research on how addiction erodes a person's free will can help answer this question. Chronic, long term addiction physically changes the chemical make up of a person's brain. Over time, the abused substance can trick the addicts brain into believing using is more salient than it should be, like breathing or blinking. It literally hijacks the brain. The person's ability to choose is taken away. No one can say exactly how long or when that happens. But a person who has gotten to this point COULD NOT do it themselves.
  19. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Having a strong support circle is a must when recovering form an addiction, but I am sure the strongest individuals can actually do it on their own. I have heard of cases like that, in which people do manage to quit all in their own, despite not having anyone around for support. Those cases are exceptional, more like the exception rather than the rule. But I think it all goes down to having a strong character and willpower... my biological dad quit drinking all on his own... but then again, he almost gets killed because of his alcoholism. He'd have been such a fool if he hadn't valued his life more...
  20. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

In my own point of view each person had their own level of thinking and state of mind on how to handle their life experiences. There are people who is into addiction who has the will power to quit alone while there are those who really needed the help of other people and support groups on their way to recovery. It really depends how they view and accept their struggles in life.