An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

You Can't Quit Alone?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Jul 31, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think it is possible to quit on your own but I think it really depends on the depth of your addiction and to what substances. Smokers often seem to quit alone by just going "cold turkey" however, I think they are likely to relapse without the support of others. It is just one of the things that sadly seems to happen. Why quit alone when you can take advantage of a support group to help you along?
  2. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

It's easier to quit with a support system but that doesn't mean one could not do it alone. However it would take a lot of willpower, but if someone wants to change they will do it regardless of whose behind them on the decision.
  3. mailen

mailen Member

No man is an island. I believe in that saying because I know that we don't live for ourselves alone. And I think it also applies to people who wants to overcome addiction but can't do it on their own. People are supposed to be there for each other. Even if we don't really know someone, kindness is a big factor into changing peoples lives. If we can just extend an arm to someone we rarely know then I think people has lot's of potential to change for the better.
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It can be done alone. Where there is a will there is a way. You might have to want to actually do it though. Find the way and apply yourself. Will power is a muscle and so is finding that way.
  5. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I overcame my addictions alone. When I turned 21 I started binge drinking every night, which caused weight gain, that led to an eating disorder. Every night I would binge on food then force myself to puke and then binge drink until I passed out. Before long this started causing constant toothaches. I didn't have dental insurance so I started buying painkillers. I would sneak booze into work in a coffee thermos and pop painkillers claiming it was Tylenol. I would spend almost my entire paycheck on pills and booze. After a few years self destructive behavior I ended up getting pregnant, at first I thought I'd have to get an abortion because of everything I'd been doing but when I got my first ultrasound the fetus was perfectly healthy and I was given rehab information. I tossed that stuff in the garbage, I was afraid they'd take my baby if I went to rehab while I was pregnant.

So, it probably really depends on what you're addicted to and how motivated you are to stop. Stopping pills and alcohol only caused a week of of minor\moderate physical withdrawal symptoms and the rest was mental. The minute I saw my tiny unborn baby on that screen during the ultrasound and was told the heartbeat was strong and everything looked fine, I knew I wasn't going to do anything else that could cause my unborn child harm. Just a day or so later, the withdrawals kick started the morning sickness. The day before I'd started feeling the deep aching you get before withdrawals really start, which I'd experienced before but always gave into. The next day I just woke up puking everywhere, it was terrible. I'd had opioid induced constipation for a while... That ended horribly, for days. After a few weeks i I started feeling better and the rest of it was just phycological and I was way too excited about the baby to worry about stuff like that. I truly enjoyed the rest of my pregnancy and gave birth to a beautiful and very healthy baby girl. She was some damn good motivation... So, maybe I didn't do it alone.
  6. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

One can recover alone if they have enough willpower. Everything can be done if you trust you can do it, and work every day in order to achieve your goal. The only support I got during my recovery was the one of my best friend's, so I didn't have such a large community to help and encourage me. But it was more than enough as she was really kind, caring and lovely, and did it better than anyone else could have done it.
  7. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Ive always heard and experienced it myself: An addict alone suffering in this world is not a very promising ending. What i know is everytime i try anything alone I fail miserably. Support for us addicts is necessary for true success. Im not saying it cant be done alone but i believe our success rate increases dramatically with good support network. Besides why would a person want to go against old addage: two heads are better than one.
  8. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I guess it depends on the person's personality itself. There are people who may be strong enough to quit alone. These are the independent and courageous individuals. We can probably equate this to those who quit cold turkey. For me though, these types of individuals are very rare to see or even know. Actually, I only know a few people who were capable of quitting an addiction on their own.

On the other hand, we have the people who cannot quit on their own. Their capacity to do this is very limited and thus a support system is a must for them. This people may encounter a relapse and therefore need someone to be there for them in times of trouble. It is not really a problem as we are humans and as humans we are social beings. The need to be approved or loved or supported by another is innate to us.

Whatever a person chooses though, in the end all it matters is that he or she has enough willpower to maintain his or her recovery. If an addict cannot quit by his own will, then really, no one else's voice will make a difference to him or her. The voice has to come from within.
  9. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

I would not want to tackle sobriety alone. I remember when i was younger and realized I needed somebody to help me with my problems. I was so alone, me and my wife were getting a divorced. I turned to some AA friends for support and advice. It was then I realized getting the help i needed was so important especially because i was also dealing with depression and anxiety.
  10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

If you are one of those people that can pull it off by yourself than I applaud you. Though we are social creatures and even if you are the type to be successful on your own, it doesn't help to have always one person being apart of your support system.
  11. Lin

Lin Member

Can I overcome my addiction alone? It really depends on the individual. Some individuals are able to handle things on their own while others need the support of friends. I wouldn't say it is impossible to do it on your own, but what I would say is that it is advisable that you get the help of others.
  12. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

There are many things I have done on my own, but quitting my addiction was not one of them? I believe external help is very crucial in the recovery process. We need to be accountable to someone, answerable, so that we will always be conscious to make sure we have a good answer when the time comes.
  13. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

Yes, at the end of the day it depends on the individual's personality. Some people are motivated by others. Some people are motivated within themselves. For some people, the help and a cheer of others won't make much of a difference to them. Such persons are introverted and can probably overcome addiction on their own.
  14. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

In dealing with things as crucial as saving your own life, I doubt you should leave such matters in your own hands. The fact that you became an addict in the 1st place means that you have a tendency to make poor choices for your own life. We may need someone to help you to escape your bad decision making habit.
  15. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

I don't think there's anything in this world that should be done, honestly.

But going through breakage of addiction with friends close by your side is so much better. They act both as cheerleaders and accountability. They check up on you regularly and make a big deal out of your every victory. If you don't have these people by your side, find some.
  16. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I know plenty of people who have done it on their own. It definitely helps to have support though, but it's possible.