An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

You have a purpose

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kjonesm1, Feb 25, 2015.

1. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

We all have a purpose. It may be one person we've influenced or something we have done for our community. You may not ever know the effect, but you have a purpose. Your story might help others so get out and share it. Do you know you're worth?
    amethyst and Winterybella like this.
  2. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Regardless of our origins, we are all entitled for the chance to be "someone" but a lot of people choose to acknowledge the facts that make a lot of things impossible instead of the reasons on how it could be possible. If a person could create music that became famous through the ages, if a blind man made it possible for other blind people to read -- what exactly is our excuse to say "it's impossible"? We are who we chose to be and it will all depend on how we look at ourselves.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Everybody was born for a purpose. It doesn't matter where you're from or your status in life. It just takes one little step, one word of advice or just a helping hand to make all the difference. Life would be devoid of purpose if humanity would not be accommodating for each others needs. After all, man is not an island.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  4. bombshell

bombshell Member

That is prolific, even if a person is an example of what not to do, they are still an example. Even if only one person sees your struggles and/or accomplishments and learns something, you have served a purpose in that persons life. We all definitely serve a purpose whether we see it or not.
    Winterybella likes this.
  5. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI Member

Cannot agree with this more. You're on this earth for a certain amount of years, months, weeks, days, and seconds. Count up how many seconds you have in your life to do something that will leave a legacy. DO NOT leave this earth without leaving something that will remind the people of 3015 of you. Do something, and do it now!
  6. BobPopporro

BobPopporro Active Contributor

i strongly agreed to this thread. Yes, each and everyone of us do have a purpose in life, we may not be aware of it, but we change someones life (whether it's a good or into a bad thing) because of us.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agreed. I believe our purpose is what we make of it. I think it's just a matter of being self aware and conscious and from that eventually you will find a path of your own. Even if it isn't as grand as you imagine it to be, just being somebody to someone is already purpose enough.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also agree on it, there are reasons why we are able t live in this world. There could be different purposes and better to make it a good purpose. Like being someone to inspire others or help others find his own purpose.
  9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

All of us was born with a purpose in life. And we should share our life worth living here in this world by being an inspiration to them showing all our good deeds and moral values that can influence and serves as a good example to their life journey.
  10. p4lse

p4lse Member

Damn true. I definitely have a purpose and I believe it is to take care of my family and friends. I don't wanna be a burden to anyone else and without these drugs, my life is a lot better. I'm actually useful and productive in my day-to-day life.
  11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

Sometimes it may really feel like your existence has no significant purpose, but come to think if it, there are so many things that can be done to make our lives worthwhile and to ultimately have a purpose in this world. It's really all up to what you make your life to be. All of us are important in this world.
  12. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

I know I have one but I just can’t seem to figure out exactly what it is, yet. I mean we all go to our nine to five jobs, go to school, live with our families, eat, sleep, drink, etc. But what is the purpose of it all and why do we have to keep living? For now, I will be sticking to my principle of having a fruitful and contented life. My ultimate goal would be to help people (I still don’t know how though), especially those less fortunate ones, and to not expect something in return. The reward of feeling good about doing something kind is already enough.
  13. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I've got no idea what my purpose in life is either. There's nothing I feel particularly drawn towards, I just get up, work, eat and go to sleep. Maybe one day I'll find out but at the moment, I'm just living day to day with no real aims in life.
  14. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Some time ago when I felt really lost and worthless, asking myself what I am doing here, I went to visit a Buddhist monastery near my town, looking for some answers, some new hope. And as I entered the monastery I saw one of the monks completely absorbed in sweeping the floor outside their temple. He was totally absorbed in this activity, smiling and paying attention to not harm any of the insects in his way. That's when something really big dawned on me...
  15. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

I have conflicted thoughts on this one...I agree everyone has a purpose, yes, but I also think it's more about what we choose rather than being born with it...you're born with potential and the capacity for great things but your purpose(s) will always be a choice.