An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

You have what it takes

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by dalzieleone, Jan 31, 2016.

1. dalzieleone

dalzieleone Member

As we start our journey toward sobriety, most of us second guess whether we will be able to make it through. This is to let you know that yes, you will make it through. There might be downfalls, relapses and moments you feel like you want to give it all up. But don't. That is the moment you show the world what you are made of. Nothing is stronger than the power that lies within you. You are strong. All you have to do is to believe in yourself and your strength.
    kgord and kassie1234 like this.
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Yes, all of us, we can make it through if only we have the strength to do so. Sobriety takes a lot of courage, willingness and determination. Then you also need to pack some patience because it can be a long and winding road ahead of you. However, that journey before you sober up, is what you need to help you realise that not being sober is not worth it. You cannot fully enjoy every second, every minute and every hour of your life when you are not fully aware of it. So be strong and believe in yourself, because I know I do and the people who love you? They believe in you as well!
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

This is a great inspirational post and one that so many people struggling can benefit from. If you want it bad enough and you stick with it you can do it. With the love and support of your family and friends you can do anything that you set your mind to. You must believe in yourself and never give up hope. Life is so much better when you live it through a clearer mind and see it through clearer eyes.
  4. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

I think that we all need to be telling ourselves this all the time to remind ourselves of our own strength. Taking things one step at a time is important, but also seeing the whole the picture is important too, so gaining that precious balance between the two is critical. We can do it though, and we need to know that. We have the tools and the resources to beat anything.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

People do sometimes think that they're not strong enough to make it through, and when they feel weak about a situation it's important they take a step back and try to see it from a different perspective.

Sometimes going through recovery can consume your life, and you just need to take a break before it starts to get too much.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

There's absolutely times where it can seem like you're climbing Mt. Everest on the recovery road...sometimes it seems like "how on Earth am I going to get past this?" but it's possible. Hard work, dedication, and believing in yourself - and having a good support system around you are all massively helpful!
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Sometimes things are rough and you want to quit, but the best decision is to continue climbing "the mountain". You started a journey that only has one end - soberness, so don't give up! Even when you don't feel like it, that's the moment when you need to be as strong as possible.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's absolutely true. In order for you to be successful in recovery, you really need to have confidence in yourself that you can do it, and you can overcome all your addictions. Keep yourself motivated all the time, and have faith.
    pwarbi likes this.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Confidence is a big issue when fighting an addiction, but for most addicts that are starting recovery, confidence is short.

It takes time to build up, and in the beginning it's important to take things day by day and build that confidence up slowly.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

If others done it, you can make it or achieved it too. It can be useful to read inspirational or listen to insprational reallife stories of those who have been succesful in getting rid of addiction. True that you must believe in yourself that you can.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

And one must always know how they'll respond to a relapse. Many recovering addicts may once they fall lose hope and continue using drugs hoping that they'll be strong enough to resist the temptation to start using drugs the next time. Knowing how they'll respond will help them bounce right back and seize victory in the eventually because it takes a commitment to win and persistence. Fall, rise and fight. Fall, rise and fight until you win.
  12. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

It's important to be realistic and commit to sobriety. We must fight to be sober, but sometimes people slip. We don't want to get too down on ourselves for the slip, just pick up and keep going.
  13. 6up

6up Community Champion

Living positively can really help. By avoiding negativity, you give yourself a chance to think about the future. We can live positively by evaluating all the progresses that we have made in the past. We should not let ourselves completely fall but we should be able to rise very fast after falling.
  14. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, people have to realize they have the power within to live the life they choose, and if it helps them to rely on God so be it, but really I think individuals can change their lives once they make up their mind to do so. It may not be easy to do so, in fact it may be the most difficult thing you ever do in your life..but it is most certainly worth it.
  15. lonelyfaith

lonelyfaith Member

Thank you for such a motivational post. I love reading stuff like this. Stay strong everyone. You can do this with all the support on here and within yourself. Just take it one day at a time. It's never easy but it will be well worth it. :)
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

With each new day is a new start for us to change our lives, so if we encounter setbacks during our recovery, we should not be discouraged and we should instead strive to make it through. Don't lose heart!
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes, failures are really something that hit some hard. I always think of them as experiences. A woman once said you might not fail as much as me. She's a billionaire now. So lesson learned there failure is nothing. It can be applied to anything. Some of the most successful people failed numerous times. People who have recovered from some sort of addiction are some of the most brilliant people I've ever met. Full of life and character. They have principles and conviction. Extremely determined and genuine people.