An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

You Matter

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by gracer, Jul 16, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

There are times in our lives where we feel so down and worthless because of what others say about us or how others look at us. More often than not, we let the views of others affect our emotions and our actions.

Addicted people are most vulnerable to this kind of situation. They experience more judgement and more discrimination while they are struggling with their addiction. What most people don't know is that this gives addicted people more reason to give in to their addiction because they feel that they are indeed alone in this world and that addiction is their only non-judgmental company.

The act of looking down upon others because of what they lack or because of their weaknesses always gives a negative impact to the one being looked down upon. It makes them feel more unworthy and small.

It is my hope that people would stop looking down at each other but instead lift each other up especially when one is struggling more than the other.

Addicted or not, each life on this earth matter equally. All os us each have our own struggles to face and it just so happened that we have different struggles to go through.

Let us all learn to lift each other up so that we will all be standing in the same platform, living a peaceful and meaningful life. :)
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

So true that everyone out there has their own struggles - I try to remember that when I'm in a grouchy mood - because taking your own emotions out on someone else can be a horrible thing to do!

Kind words and lifting one another up can go such a long way. I've had many times where I've been having a bad day, when someone has done a good deed for me, or paid me a compliment or even just said something encouraging - and it turns my day around! It makes me remember that I do matter - and so does everyone else! Being kind is a wonderful thing.
    Winterybella and gracer like this.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Those are really beautiful words, and I totally agree with everything you have said. Each one of us has a purpose in life, each one of us has a value, so we should never look down and underestimate other people. Instead of doing that, why shouldn't we just try to motivate and inspire one another, right? It would definitely make the world a better place.
    Rosyrain and gracer like this.
  4. gracer

Right @dyanmarie25. This world will truly be a better place if instead of putting each other down, we learn to lift each other up into a place where we will all be equal and the same. It doesn't hurt to be a little kinder as what @kassie1234 has said. We should always try to bring along an ounce of kindness with us everyday as we go along with our daily lives. :)
    Winterybella likes this.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thank you for writing this. It is beautifully written and I agree with everything you said. There are a lot of people out there who lack confidence who don't believe in themselves. They have no idea what they are truly capable of. Everybody on this earth has a unique. We all have our own personal struggles that others wouldn't understand. Some of us have to better then others but no matter who we are or what our story is, our lives matter. We all have a purpose in life. We all deserve to be happy.
    Winterybella, gracer and deanokat like this.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Great words of wisdom, @gracer! Everyone is special in their own way, and everyone deserves love...especially from themselves! Sometimes it's hard to see our worthiness in times of trouble, but it's there, and we should never forget it. We should also never judge someone, because we don't know what their circumstances are. Treat others the way you want others to treat you. Is that so hard to remember? :)
    Winterybella and gracer like this.
  7. suegiplaye

suegiplaye Member

This is so true.Dependent individuals are most defenseless against drug addiction. They encounter more judgment and more segregation while they are battling with their fixation. What a great many people don't know is that this gives dependent individuals more motivation to offer into their fixation in light of the fact that they feel that they are for sure alone in this world .
    gracer likes this.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That is so true. If only people would stop judging and looking down on people then the world would be a better place to live in. People should just ought to help and support one another rather than discriminating them. I think people who openly judge and discriminate people are mean or they're just insecure.
    gracer likes this.
  9. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

The emotional abuse I endured in my younger years has affected me to this day. I try not to behave as if my every move is being judged, but I still slip into that mode a lot. It’s exhausting, and I find it kind of sad that I lose sight of the fact that most people are not as horribly judgmental as my father.

On the other hand, though, I feel like it’s made me more compassionate; I know what it’s like to be mentally beaten down until I stopped believing in myself. Clawing my way out of that mindset has been such a challenging process. So I try to spread kindness wherever and whenever I can - sometimes it’s a difficult thing to remember when I’m wrapped up in my own BS, but knowing how good it feels to be on the receiving end of a little kindness, that’s a good reminder.
    gracer likes this.
  10. gracer

Thank you for your wonderful replies guys! :)

@CallipygianGamine It's really hard to look at ourselves in a lighter sense especially if the one who has been putting us down is the person we truly care about. I haven't experienced the same childhood as yours but somehow I can relate to how you feel about feeling as though your every move is being judged. I have somehow started feeling that way ever since I got married and lived with my husband's parents. They had a different way of treating people which I never experienced before. To add to the insult, my husband sometimes doesn't listen to my concerns.

I've realized that there in our world right now, there are far too many people who easily judge and look down on people. I've had my share of judging and being judged but most of the time I'm the one being judged.

This forum is a place where I have encountered the nicest people who, despite not knowing each other personally try to lift each other up with no judgement at all. Being in this forum has made me realize that there is still a place where I can feel that I do matter. No matter how bad my day is or how low I feel, I somehow find solace from the posts I read in this forum. Thank you very much guys for being such great inspirations to people. :)
    CallipygianGamine likes this.
  11. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Gracer you have a way with words. Everything that you write is so beautifully written and so engaging. I agree with everything that you are saying. I live it with my partner, the low self-esteem, the anger, the hurt. All as a result of his upbringing. To this day his Dad has nothing good to say about him and he gets in a dig every chance he gets. My partner lets it consume his every thought. He can't let go of the past, he can't move on. He is struck where he is at and can't move forward. I feel his pain everyday. He is felt good about himself I know he could overcome this. His life does matter and he needs to let go of the anger and hurt from the past before he can truly heal.
    gracer likes this.
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It is human nature to want to feel love and acceptance. This is why some people turn to drugs. They get involved with a crowd who is doing the drug and they feel like they belong somewhere. Most addicts do not realize that when the drug runs out, there is no reason for them to hang out and it becomes a lonely world once again.
    gracer likes this.
  13. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

The most important persons outlook on me is myself. If i dont love myself its going to show up in my behavior, my actions and about everything i do. I say who cares what oythers think about me. My ex-wife used to use my past against me all the time. She felt so bad about herself she loved to make me miserable. I thank God im out of that relationship. The woman im with now is amazing. She never puts me down. I still suffer with self-esteem issues. But not near as bad. Ive been clean now for 130 days and working on myself. So i feel so much better about me and my life. I dont do dumb stuff that tore down my self-esteem in the past. I say the past is history-Tomorrow is a mystery-Today is our Present. Enjoy every moment you can today.
    gracer likes this.
  14. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Gracer you always have such a way with words. I enjoy reading your posts. This post was so inspiring and touching. It is something that I really needed to read at this point in my life. I am so glad I found this group. Before I joined I felt alone and frustrated. I am glad that I have a place I can come to for support and not be judged for the decisions I make. I felt so all alone, like nobody understood. I didn't have anybody to turn to. I love all the inspiring posts, they touch me greatly.
    gracer likes this.
  15. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Thank You, I have always expressed myself so much better in writing. Face to Face I don't do so well. Something I'm working on-among other things. I have found your post interesting and inspiring. Looking forward to reading your future post.
    gracer likes this.
  16. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Preach!
    Very true words. God wants us all to lift up to heaven, I will try to help and pray for as many as I can.
    But I cannot do it alone, glad their are other great people like you too! We all have a roll to play in this.
    gracer likes this.
  17. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

This is a very beautiful piece. There are too many people who have lost their self confidence and subsequently, the essence of life. It can be very difficult to see ourselves in a new light especially if we have lived all our lives painting our self image black and red. But if you can just believe that you can become more than what you are now, it will make all the difference.
    gracer likes this.
  18. gracer

Thank you so much for all the appreciation guys! Reading them furthermore inspires me to write more posts that could somehow inspire and touch hearts. Thank you so much again from the bottom of my heart. :)

@L_B Thank you very much for your beautiful words! :) They really mean so much to me and I'm also glad I have been able to touch your heart in some way. There are times when we all need something to lift us up from our sadness or misery and when we find that certain thing, it helps us pull ourselves up again and pick up the broken pieces of our lives. This forum has also touched me in such a special way that I have found people like you guys who have always been so willing to listen to and support each and every one who joins. :)
  19. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

Perhaps the most hurtful thing anyone can go through is when a person you truly love betrays your trust and abuses you both emotionally and physically. In fact, emotional abuse is worse than physical abuse. If you want to really destroy a man then kill his spirit. Even if someone is an addict, it is better to support him/her avoid addiction than discriminate. If you look down on someone today because he/she lacks something then remember what goes around comes around. Whatever that person does not have today he/she may have tomorrow. The most powerful people in the world were not born powerful but they slowly climbed the ladder to the top. In fact, only few people believed in them before the world knew them. The only thing certain in life is uncertainty. Remember your ego is just an illusion dictated by your life circumstances. Every human-being is equal.
    gracer likes this.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Indeed correct. Lifting each other will make this world a better place to live for each and everyone. Bringing someone down will not make you look like a better person. All are equal such as in terms of chances and rights in this world.
    deanokat and gracer like this.