An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

You Need New Goals

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Addiction can make someone lose everything.

Fact is when you've sunk that low the only direction you can head is up. And you'll have two choices — you can either spend your life trying to find what you lost and get frustrated when you fail or start building a new life which you know you won't be messed up by drugs.

Set new goals and strive hard to achieve them. When you have a purpose in life you'll have something worth fighting for. It's from your desire to achieve these new goals that you'll draw you strength to resist temptations to start using drugs again.
  2. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

That's absolutely true, addiction can indeed cause you to lose a lot of things in your life, and most importantly mental things that you would have appreciated it the more you fed on that addiction. People need help and hope, and I believe praying from a genuine heart really helps.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I totally agree with you. Well, it can also be applied in general, not just when you're battling an addiction. When you fail at something, don't let your disappointments and frustrations drag you down. It's okay to feel sad about something bad that has happened to you, but don't dwell too much in the past. Learn to try again and start anew. Create another bucket list of goals you want to achieve. Don't be scared to begin again.
  4. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, you can't live in the past all your life, and learning how to do this can be really hard especially if you have been through rough times in your life, but you need to learn to accept the things that you can change and start to move forward, and I think that having new goals is a great way to do it.
  5. Owlwright

Owlwright Member

What you said is so,so true!
    Motivational speeches like that really do inspire me a lot, more people need to see the big picture instead of just the past and present. Nothing is impossible, look at al the people who fought for their dreams and had them become reality, it's not a rare sight, either!
    I do believe we are as strong as we want to be, sometimes all we need is a little support and maybe a bit of a push. ;)
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

When you are recovering you need to stop looking back at some point and start looking forward at the things you can do and accomplish. Each and every one of us has things in our past that shame us, but you have to move past those things if you are ever to have a bright future.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That idea of having a purpose is key, I think, as a big part of recovery. It's important to have something to work towards that's bigger than your addiction. We've all done things in life that I'm sure we regret or don't look upon favorably when we look back it at - but it's important to keep moving forward and setting those goals to get you there.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

When you hit rock bottom, there is only one direction to go and that is up. As you said, you need new goals to motivate you to do better and greater things in your life. A person cannot go anywhere in life if they don't aspire to be more then what they are at the moment.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

As other people have stated, once you hit rock bottom the only way is up. However, I think it's important to acknowledge that whilst karma is a bitch, it's also necessary. Things may be tough, they may get very tough, even when you thought were making progress but the fact is, sometimes bad things must happen in order to get you to a better place. Good and bad are polar opposites of the same thing - without bad there can be no good so fight your way through it knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hitting rock bottom is the perfect example - it can only be followed by good.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  10. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Doing drugs is indeed a recipe for disaster. You can loose your job, your family, your worldly possessions and God forbid,your life. Addiction should be taken seriously but am appalled when people discuss it casually and all the do is sweep all the hard facts under the carpet. As a drug addict, you need a plan on what you intend to do about your situation and it would be advisable if you formulated that plan with the help of a qualified person who will guide you through it with the main purpose of making it a success story.
  11. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I think that you need to get entirely new goals, even if that means abandoning goals you had prior to or during addiction. You have to get a healthy dose of new things in your life, including goals and activities and hobbies. Doing so can give you a new perspective and a new energy to keep on the path to recovery and then remain a FORMER addict or substance abuser.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is true addiction can make someone loose everything. It can also make a mess in someone's life many times over, if they let it. It is a real shame how some people cling to addictions. The people they hurt. It is kind of self centered to think that a person would love some things like this instead of wanting to have love and respect for those around you. Addiction seems to have a blind purpose that goes no where. A real purpose in life, you are right, this is what one needs. Character and integrity building is the best focus.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Recovering from an addiction means learning to live your life in an entirely different way that what you have been used to and takes a great deal of strength. A lot of people will be strong enough to beat the actual drug but not strong enough to make the lifestyle changes that are needed to beat the addiction entirely.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is true that setting new goals and give new hopes and can be new motivation. It can serve as something to look forward to and moving on forward. Can also make life more exciting and it will be fulfilling reaching goals. :)
  15. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

We all need new goals, we all need new objectives to break the routine, even more when the routine is addiction based. Having goals and a plan is half-way to success.