An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Younger Models Influence Teens to Smoke?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Ali16, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well I think at this point in time kids are more likely to become vaping enthusiasts than tobacco. However, there are plenty of people who do smoke. I truly think they are more likely to smoke if it has been modeled by parents. It is just one of those things that kids seem to pick up. Fortunately, as the cost of smoking goes up the percentage of people smoking goes down.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

All though I am not sure if a photo like this would encourage young people to smoke, I don't agree with young model smoking while doing a photo shoot. Even if she is just pretending to I think in this day and age when we know all the bad things that smoking can do to you that this type of photo is unacceptable.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Not even younger models but mostly every artist/model/celebrity etc. have an influence over their audience, and they can use that fact to their advantage. The trends are dictated by celebrities, and sadly every teenager is easy to be manipulated - we can't do too much about it.
  5. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I think there is certainly a degree of influence that people in these positions have over teenagers. If the model featured is in the same age bracket as the teenager I can understand them thinking "that looks cool". The whole advertising industry is manipulative like this by its very nature unfortunately.

I remember hearing something about people trying to have a reduction in the amount of lead actors smoking in movies. It's one thing to have the 'bad guy' smoking, but having the hero of the movie smoking sends a very different message. One shot in the movie "The Jacket" had a "Smoking Kills" advertisement displayed in it. It seemed like the director wanted to (or was asked to) balance out the amount of smoking in the movie with a more healthy message.
  6. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Advertisements are basically tools of indoctrination which stick in an individuals mind. This is why people get paid thousands of dollars just to create ads. They are highly effective, often in the negative way. The only way to fight this is to educate those in danger about the ills of a substance, regardless of how "cool" or appealing it is.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think that kind of ads are not good for the society. There should be proper education and guidance about the dangers of smoking and other bad vices. Those should not be promoted.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Ads are supposed to convince someone to buy something. Using young models will, theoretically, make young people dash off to buy the cigarettes because other young people elsewhere are smoking. While I must agree that the ads could influence teenagers to smoke, the people who actually will tempt them to smoke are friends who smoke.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think kids these days are more than well aware how bad smoking is for them, and I doubt they would be influenced by something they see on a poster or in a movie for example.

They're more likely to be influenced to smoke by their friends than the media, and I think that is where people need to start looking if they're going to blame something.
  10. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Teenagers should learn not to take for good everything they see on TV. Maybe those models don't even smoke, but they do it once for the sake of their job. But the kids think that just because an idol does this it's cool and they should do it as well. That's kinda stupid, and, to be honest, I had never experienced something like this myself.
  11. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I think ads like that are very negative. Fortunately, ads such as those are not allowed to be displayed in my country and kids can't be influenced. I've noticed teens these days are more interested in other things such as smartphones but alcoholism still remains a problem.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Teenagers don't have a fully developed brain, they don't really process many things the way us adults do. Sadly, that means they are more prone to run big risks and so on (hence the ever popular term ''teen pregnancy''). I really don't get teenagers :p The more you tell them something is dangerous and not good for them the more they want to do it, so I'd say this is a lose-lose... no matter what you do.
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

That's with a lot of things ads are meant to target certain people. When people seem to relate to someone in a ad they are influenced by it more. This is how companies target certain groups of people. This could be done with smoking or other things. It's really up to us to decide whether we need something or not.
  14. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I think there could be a certain amount of truth to this. It's not the people that are of age that will be influenced by this, it's the younger people that are. If this is the message that is being sent, that in order to look older you have to smoke there will be a lot of kids that will try to smoke.
  15. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I don't doubt it at all. We all have people we look up to and those are the people we tend to emulate. We may emulate them without even realizing it.