An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Your Daily Responsibility

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by JonMark, Jan 28, 2015.

1. JonMark

JonMark Active Contributor

Everyday, people should wake up with uncertainty as to how the day is going to go. Take things slowly and be engaged with one thing at a time. Force yourself to see something new in front of you. For instance, grab a book and try to read a page. Think about what you've read and ask your questions, whatever they might be and then follow them.

Will they take you further onto the next page? Are you thinking about a moment in your life when you can recall something similar to what you just read? At this point, you have a better idea of where you're heading with the day. This is how you should live you're life daily, never thinking about the constant current that travels from the past, through the present and into the future.

Because that current, will always shorten our time and we will constantly be looking to the future without acknowledging the present.
    Winterybella likes this.
  2. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

The only way to grow and better yourself is by leaving your comfort zone.
  3. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

I agree with you and I just watched the new movie version of Walter Mitty. I thought the same thing when I saw the movie - sometimes it pays to try new adventures. Even if it's a small adventure!
  4. cowboyz4life

cowboyz4life Member

It is a good idea to take things as they come. This is especially true when in recovery. It is important to live one day at a time. Enjoy the tiny milestones as they happen.
    Bonzer likes this.
  5. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

Totally agree with this! It's always so tempting to confine one's self to the comfort zone only, but then again, in the long run, it's not going to benefit you. It may seem to be the best thing to do, as most people believe you should be nice to yourself as well and not give yourself a hard time, but in the long run, you will see that you actually became a better person by taking risks and accepting higher level of challenges. I grew up in a very challenging environment and right now, I feel thankful for that. I didn't enjoy it when I was young, but I realize that I'm actually a tougher person now because of my past experiences.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think it's best to keep your head at present with an eye for the future. Looking back too much into the past or way into the future will just give you unnecessary anxiety and it will drive you to loopy behavior. It's best to learn and appreciate what you have right now instead of what might happen in the future or what has happened in the past.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree better to not make ourselves too stressed on a daily basis. :D
    Too much stress could lead to various illnesses and will not help us move further or gain success especially with regards to health goals. Better to be prepared for tomorrow and live in the present.
  8. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

I definitely agree. Things come and surprise you, and since it happened, all you need to do is to adjust to the situation. For example, something bad happened. You can't change what happened, so you have to see things in a more positive light and to solve the problem as soon as possible.

What's important is how you handle situations and how you can make them make you a better person.
  9. 003

003 Community Champion

My daily responsibility is to always keep up with my routine and do whatever it is that I have to do. If I'm not able to do whatever that I have to do, I think I have failed my day and it's just makes me feel bad that it's harder for me to keep up with the challenges of the next day.
  10. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I agree with what most of the posters have said, living in the here and now can be one of the best things a person does for themselves! Especially if you are battling with an addiction, sometimes when you give yourself ridiculous deadlines of what you are meant to achieve you end up just frustrated with yourself and the possibility of throwing in the towel becomes higher. Looking at the past can be positive too but never dwell on it; glancing back to see where you come from and how far you've come can always motivate one to keep at it!
  11. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I have learned to live in the now. God's grace is sufficient for the day. I don't want to live and think about tomorrow. That will only cause chaos in my brain. I'm speaking based on my experiences.
  12. juno

juno Community Champion

I don't know if you should wake up not knowing which way your day should go completely. I think you should wake up with some goals in mind, other wise you can not manifest your reality. However, you should be flexible and take everything you encounter through the day with good stride. Don't let everything get to you, so you should wake up with a flexible and understanding attitude. This will help you not get overwhelmed and turn to substance abuse.
  13. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

I wake up with goals for the day, small things on a personal level. With work it's different because of deadlines etc. But in my life I find that setting goals is a good thing. Working towards them feels good, completing them feels even better. And, when things get pushed back you just have to be able to adjust and roll with changes. I have several friends that beat themselves up over the smallest things.
  14. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Asking for help and going into rehab or recovery for an addiction is definitely a large, mountainous step for most people. Thank you for this post, there are many people who need to hear this. It takes uncomfortable situations to make things right.
  15. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Everyday as I wake up I always pray to God thanking Him for last night sleep and for giving me another day in my life to live. I am also asking Him to help me to do all my works and responsibilities for the day and to give me great opportunity to give essence to my life. This had been always my attitude for a new day that I am blessed to have everyday in my life.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I never really try to control the events that happen in my life, especially the future. I always take it one day at a time. I think trying to control external events to your liking will just make you feel frustrated in the end, so just live your life always rooted in the present and don't worry about the future. Just cross the bridge when you get there.
  17. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

I wake up knowing what I have to do but also wondering what I need to do to make my future better on all levels. When setbacks happen I try to learn from them, like was there anything I could have done to prevent this? Of course life is full of curve balls and unexpected trials but I deal with these by accepting them and working through a solution or the emotions of what the issue bring.
  18. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Absolutely! you couldn't have termed it better. Live one day at a time. Every moment of life is valuable. Just take things as they come and take them easy, but be regular. As you annex achievable milestones, your confidence enhances and you volunteer to shoulder more and tougher responsibility. There is no point in being overambitious and cutting out a sorry figure. Great post!
  19. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I like what you said about being engaged with one thing at a time.

I feel like these days, everyone's so busy trying to do a million things at once. We often multi-task to the point of not even remembering what we were originally trying to get done - at least I know that happens to me sometimes!

It's important to remember that being present and being engaged helps us connect with things, helps us to be more productive, and I think really helps us feel better about life.
  20. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Great advice and very good point you have got. As for me, I think we should live in the present, live like today is your last day on earth. Don't think about the future, don't try to pressure yourself. Don't also mourn the past, don't regret anymore. Learn to live now. Carpe diem.