An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Your dreams

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by amethyst, Nov 30, 2014.

1. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

While I was detoxifying from alcohol, I had a lot of very vivid dreams. Sometimes they were so real, that I wasn't sure anymore where I was. I would wake up in the morning, feeling relieved that I was "back" again.
    I started writing down these dreams, without trying to analyse them. Only in later months, and even years, could I fully understand what my subconscious mind was trying to tell me. It all made sense in the end.
    Do you keep a dream diary?
    CpXi7z1 likes this.
  2. Charles P.

Charles P. Community Advocate

That is really cool. Have you purchased any books on interpreting your dreams?
  3. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

No I don't but it is really productive and worthwhile to keep a dream diary.

I attended a program before about Dream Analysis. What I remember about the program is our dreams can consist of the circumstances or things that made an impact on us during the day or even events or things from days before. Sometimes, we may not even know that the things we thought did not matter have imprints in our minds and they come in our dreams. So they're in our subconscious that have resurfaced in our dreams.

The dreams can also be about the things that bother us. That's why it is good to have a dream diary because it makes us connect with our inner thoughts. And we can somehow help ourselves address our worries.
    amethyst likes this.
  4. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

The only time I've kept a dream diary was when I was into lucid dreaming. Personally, I don't believe that dreams try to tell us things. They're just a bunch of random thoughts while we sleep.
  5. Buddy101

Buddy101 Member

No i do not but i should of did that t actually sounds brillant. That is the way to do it because after a minute people do not remember dreams. That is something counselors should give to the people they are talkng to.
    amethyst likes this.
  6. amethyst

Charles, I don't really believe in the general interpretation of dream symbology, and that's why I am not interested in purchasing any books that have pre-fabricated meanings that allegedly define the language of dreams. Instead I go by my own intuition and explore the various aspects that appear in my dreams in silent meditation. But, on the other hand, I am very open- minded to literature that explores dreams in a creative way, where you are guided into finding out for yourself what your subconscious mind is trying to convey to you. :)
  7. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Member

I read a lot about dreams, I recall the part that struck me most was reading that dreams are the way that the unconscious talks to the conscious, what that means is - if there is something you know deep inside but do not want to face it in reality, dreams will make you face it.

Before I made life changes to better myself I would have awful nightmares about stuff, mostly about some monster following me, or something like that. After I read that about the mind it was like a little light went off in my head. I finally understood why I had nightmares. I think a dream journal is excellent, it might help you decided what it is you don't want to know about consciously. Best way to start down the road to being whole.
  8. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

I personally don't keep a dream diary, but I know several people that do. I believe many dreams do have meanings. Especially vivid dreams, like the ones you had.

Sadly, most of my dreams are just full of random things and images. Maybe one day I will make a dream diary, and see if I can make sense of all my randomness! :p
  9. Charles P.

Charles P. Community Advocate

I had a friend who always tried to tell me that he could control his dreams. Meaning, if he was doing something in his dream that he didn't like, or want to do, he would say that he just willed himself to do what he wanted. I thought that I could do the same, but can never figure out how to take control like he had done. Maybe I am not as strong as he is, I don't know.
  10. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

That means he was lucid dreaming. I used to put a lot of effort (keeping a dream journal, performing reality checks, and setting alarms to go off during specific sleep stages) into lucid dreaming around a year ago, but I haven't done it in a while. It's really cool, but it takes a lot of work to get good at.
  11. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I've tried keeping a dream diary to see if I could lucid dream, but it got a bit tedious after a while since I have trouble recalling what I dreamed about the night before. However, I'm glad that you have started to understand your subconsciousness well, and sometimes analyzing what its trying to tell you could make your conscious mind have some realizations about yourself. Good for you!
  12. amethyst

It's possible to train yourself to do what your friend is able to do. I have studied this art as well, with the help of books on "practical shamanism". There are several ancient techniques that one can work with to gain more insight into one's inner being, but naturally it takes discipline and patience.
  13. CpXi7z1

CpXi7z1 Member

Whether you have an addiction or not, dream journals, art journals, and general journals help you make sense of your life.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not tried keeping or making a dream diary but there are times that I try to remember all what had happened in a certain dream cause it was puzzling me. It will be good if you can manage to interpret your dreams as well.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I don't keep a dream diary because I hardly ever sleep. So because I don't sleep. I hardly ever dream. But when I do and it's a once in a blue moon kind of thing, each time I wish that I had a book by my side to write down the dream so I don't forget it.

I think since dreams can be interpreted, for those who are constantly dreaming, keeping a diary would be a great idea of uncovering some knowledge about . . . your life, the future or even the past if you believe in past lives.
  16. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I tried to, but then I got a job after quitting my alcohol addiction, so now I'm always on the rush and I have no time for this anymore. But this is good. I wrote down some of my dreams, but they seemed pretty usual to me. Of course, there were also occasional nightmares.
  17. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've heard of this and I believe it has happened to me before whenever I decided to make changes to my lifestyle. I never kept a dream journal but I always try and give myself time in the morning to try and dissect whatever it is I just dreamt. Not being a professional of course I can't give much meanings to the dreams but it is therapeutic to at least recognize the elements in it.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I use to. I love dreams. It is interesting to understand why they stop and how healthy it is to have them. Western medicine, psychiatry, will say if you don't dream it is because you are depressed. That bad dreams mean you need a shrink. Lol. Holistic says that if you don't dream your pineal gland needs help. Its jammed up with garbage. This is in the middle of your brain its very important. Your creativity is there, it generates from this point so. Just being out of pollution has considerably help cleanse this gland out for me. I've been dreaming a great deal more. Utilizing certain herbs to cleanse the pineal gland has actually made dreams quite vivid and real. Its like a whole other dimension. One thing that is really bad for this gland is flouride like what is in tooth paste or sometimes the water. It will rot this gland. You don't want to use anything with flouride in it.
  19. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I only try to take note of remarkable dreams. If they're mundane dreams that don't make much of an impression on me, I just try to shrug them off. However, if my dreams involve interesting events and people I've not seen in a long time or did not expect to appear, I would remember them and try to interpret their meaning with the help of dream decoding books.
  20. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've never kept a dream diary, but if I do ever have a particularly weird, unusual or symbolic dream then I tend to look it up in a dream dictionary. There's actually a lot of dream dictionaries online so you don't need to buy a specific hard copy one. A lot of the time I'll notice that there does seem to be a correlation between things going on in my life and unusual dream patterns.