An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Your gender does matter when it comes to addictions!

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Tremmie, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I was reading an article the other day, and what I read really shocked me! It turns out we women not only seem to be more susceptible to get cancer after radiation exposure, but we also handle drugs and alcohol so differently when compared to a male. It turns out that women tend to lose grey matter after abusing substances like cocaine, amphetamines, and methamphetamine. Yes, even after quitting!

According to a research they were conducting, the women who had abstained had lost an important quantity of grey matter after one year. Strangely enough the males didn't! Grey matter is very important, because it's what makes you to be ''you''. So those women might see some decrease in their cognitive capabilities, a decreased memory, language issues, etc.

If you want more info read here: https://www.yahoo.com/health/the-important-gender-difference-in-brains-damaged-124101765947.html
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have always thought this way but I wasn't sure if that is how it worked or not. I found this a very interesting read and it confirmed what I believed. Thanks for sharing this with us.
  3. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

Thanks for this information. I am a man, and while this may be good information for me, I am deeply sorry about the female's situation. This is a warning to all females to cease from taking drugs. This is also not a license to men to take drugs.
    JossZen likes this.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That is interesting and honestly I hadn't thought about much of a difference until reading this thread. I assumed that perhaps women would be more affected since overall we are smaller in build than men are, but I hadn't thought about it in a context outside of that. It's making me feel all the more grateful that I managed to quit and that sobriety is my way of life these days.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I thought the same thing! Like you, it makes me grateful that I quit coke. Sobriety rocks!
    kassie1234 likes this.
  6. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

Wow, so this is truly shocking and so not fair! Why is it that we always have all these disadvantages? What I also find amazing is all that science is capable of uncovering now. In the past we were not aware of this and had no idea that we literally make idiots of ourselves by consuming drugs. Great article, hope every woman in here reads it!
  7. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

What a very informative post! You're right, our 'grey matter' is very important for our memory, cognition and anything brain related. It is very unfair that we lose more of this compared to men. But you know what? It is just another reason to refrain from any form of drug or substance addiction! If you want to save your mental health, stay away from drugs and other substances like it!
  8. JossZen

JossZen Member

I had always wondered about this. Women so often feel pressured to "keep up" with men and even worse - keep up with their fellow female friends. When I reflect on the addicts I have known over the course of my life, this actually makes quite a bit of sense. Most men I have encountered (especially after giving up an addiction), don't seem to be as residually damaged as the women. Your post makes perfect sense on this. Thanks for the information.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

@JossZen They think that the worst effects are seen most after one year of abstinence, but it is believed that after a while people can fully or partially recover, but it depends on each person, sadly :( I'd say just stay away from drugs in general to everyone who is thinking of trying... they can actually change everything. This info showed me that, women need to be so careful!
  10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I'm starting to see " grey matter" pop up more on this forum. Looks like I have a bit of homework to do because I don't know what this is. Being a woman, I'm glad science is able to uncover such things. It might seem unfair that we have so many disadvantages but life in general can be delicate. Besides, by me having the ability to give forth life it makes sense that I might be more susceptible to certain things which encourages me to keep healthy as much as possible to bring forth happy healthy babies.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I didn't know substance abuse has different effects on males and females. This is really an interesting read and great information. Thanks for letting us know about it. I guess this fact would somehow serve as a deterrent for women not to fall prey to an addiction.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Don't believe everything you read. Anyone and everyone can write an article and publish it on the internet. The brain is capable of rejuvenating itself. It actually depends upon how you think about it. If you want to believe in cancer and grey matter perhaps that is true for you.
    I believe one is capable, and it is actually been proven, of changing their DNA. So, be like the greats and change the molecule.
  13. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

This is really eye opening. I have never heard of this or thought about it. It's really sad too. It seems that in so many areas, females seems to get the lower end of the deal.
  14. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

I have always found this to be ridiculous anytime I hear people talk about it. Now that I have read it several times, I still find it really difficult to believe. It's really a sorry situation for females doing drugs. It's almost like there is no hope. Is there no way to recover all? Even if it takes years.
  15. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I guess this is a good reason women should stay away from cocaine. I'm pretty sure most addictions reduce gray matter in the brain. The residual effects are a bit scary tho. Just knowing that side effects take place after drug abuse in women is enough to make you stop using. The grey matter in the brain is really the most important part. This is really something to think about.
  16. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Interesting.
    I wonder why though?
    Time to research more!
  17. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I think women who abuse substances are also more likely to have had a trauma history and be using substances to try and escape some of the pain of the trauma(s). It seems like the men I've met who are battling addictions use substances to counteract feelings of not being "good enough" or to deal with work stress.
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is good reason for women to stay away from addiction. Also for men even they seem to be more tolerant on those substances. Both sexes would suffer diseases and other issues in life because of addiction.
  19. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

I have always had the same notion. In most cases, when women get high they act way differently than men. It is science and even feminist would agree that women require a less dosage than men to get high. Hence, most drugs are most likely to affect women than men.
  20. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I guess women's brains are built to detoriorate more than men's brains, so that's another reason why men or women should not even take drugs in the first place!