An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Your goals

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kassie1234, Apr 7, 2016.

1. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I found one of the biggest things that helped me through recovery was having and setting goals. Not just to do with recovery, but general life goals.

Small goals, big goals - I think they all help us grow and develop and find balance as people!

What are some of your goals in life right now?
    xTinx and deanokat like this.
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Yes, having goals can certainly set you in a focused mindset! Even just a simple goal as being able to do all chores today helps me have my peace of mind, lol. Well, here are some of my goals since you asked so nicely:
    • Have a more stable online job. I'm trying to find stable jobs with regular pay and workload online so I can support my family more financially.
    • Help others more. I want to offer some service and even financial help to some less fortunate people. I'm thinking of joining my local community church for such missions.
    • Spend more time with my family. I think family should be the number one priority in my life right now. I admit that sometimes work can be too much and I spend too much time in it. I am hoping to change that though with a few schedule changes.
    • Adopt a dog. Our oldest dog just died recently so we're hoping to find a new dog to adopt. I would love a labrador and our police force offers their retired dogs for adoption. We're looking into that.
    • Spend some time for myself. During the last year, I barely have time for myself. I'm hoping that this year I could find some more me time at least even once a month.
    That's about it. What about you @kassie1234, what are your goals in life right now?:)
    kassie1234 likes this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

My primary goal is to find a job that I'm passionate about. At my age, I no longer want to work just to get a paycheck. I want my work to mean something.
    Coolkidhere, kassie1234 and bhu like this.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

My two main goals right now are weight loss and being able to move from this area. The first is critical to my overall health and happiness and the second I see as being very important as well. I have a number of obstacles that seem to crop up with both of those things though..including my own fear and even ambivalence which seems to really factor into goal 2. However, I am going to do my best to accomplish this task..as being able to leave here I think will make me feel more comfortable and present many more opportunities.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

My biggest goal right now is to buy a house and it has taken on a life of its own. I used to drink more than I should, but right now I am so focused on what I need to get done to accomplish my goal that I do not even have much time to even think about drinking. You really have to know what you want and put forth all of your energy to get there.
  6. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

This is definitely true, goal setting and having dreams is one of the most important parts of living a successful life. I personally can't relate to setting goals for any addiction, but I can when it comes to making money. I was struggling with work and I decided to try working online, by setting goals about what I wanted and when I wanted it, I felt more motivated to achieve those goals. And here I am making a full time income from it, twice as much as I would be making if I didn't decide to work online. My biggest goal at the moment is to buy a new car with cash. Credit is a death-trap so I try to avoid it at all costs.

Setting goals when it comes to drug abuse is definitely important because getting off an addiction is a gradual process instead of an instant one 99% of the time. So setting short term and long term goals helps a lot. For example, saying "I will have 5 beers per week and not 7" is much more achievable than saying "I will never drink again" because even you should know that's easier said than done.
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

My goal is to be financially stable and start a new life independently, and also to lose some weight, since I have gained a few a few pounds from being inactive.
  8. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Your goals are on my list, too! I tried to have a fit winter instead of winter fat, but I didn't quite make it. So now my goals are: less weight, more money, move out of my present situation, get my financial and legal matters done that I've been putting off, and travel more. I wish you all the best of luck in achieving your goals. Please keep us posted on how you're doing, so we can encourage and congratulate each other on the path.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Interesting BHU! Well on the good front I lost 7 pounds this week. On the other goals I guess the best you can say is proceeding slowly. I have a lot of expenses right now this month, which is prohibting me from getting some of the cosmetic work done on my house that I need to do to get top dollar. I am sure you are making progress too Bhu! You go Girl!
  10. kassie1234

My goals right now are quite similar to yours, actually!

Spending more time with my family is a big one - I want it to be intentional time, you know? Fun activities planned and things like that. Today we're going to a local tulip festival, to enjoy the spring weather - little things like that always make me feel good and I think that's important!

Also, I want to try and get into freelance writing - I just recently had a couple of unpaid articles published in my local newspaper - but I'd like to find some paid gigs too. I'm a stay at home mom at this point in my life so being able to contribute financially is important to me, just for my own self esteem!

Also I absolutely hear you about spending some time for yourself. In my first year of being a mom I really struggled with that, and it was hard - I thought I needed to be with my child every minute of the day and I really didn't make much time for myself at all! This year I'm really trying to be more intentional with that - and it's helping a lot!
  11. kassie1234

I hear you on this - there's nothing worse than going somewhere that you spend a majority of your week and just hating it and being there solely for the money. I've had times where that was necessary, of course - but was always left thinking "surely there's more than this, right?"

You seem like a really compassionate person, I think something where you're helping others and making a difference would be ideal for you!
  12. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

At this point in my life my ultimate goal is to save money for our future while I still can. So that when the time comes that I am already in my old age I am financially secured and I will not be a burden to my family. It is nice to retire in life that you are contented and happy in your life with your whole family and love ones.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

My goals:

1. Make it through the year without using any drugs.
    2. Do the things I've always wanted to do. I had a problem with procrastination. Instead of getting something done, I'd always put it off to "later" and it ended up not getting done. This is something that has to be changed because I have to stay busy and never think about using drugs.
    3. It's been a while since I spend any time with any of my relatives and family. It's been over three years. I intend to visit them this year.

Those are my goals for this year.
  14. CryingCanary

CryingCanary Active Contributor

Last year I made myself a promise that I'd set some goals down and achieve them. Sadly that didn't happen and I let myself down but this year I decided to pick things up so I made a short list of what I want to achieve.

1. Start going to the gym (starting next month).
    2. Achieve my weight loss goal of 150 Lbs (I'm currently at 178 Lbs).
    3. Take care of myself more.
    4. (Try To) Change my toxic behavior.
    > I see myself as a very negative person and I'm working hard on changing that.

My last and most important goal is to stop drinking. To completely sober up for myself and for myself only.
  15. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Setting goals is a great way to move forward and achieve greatness or success.

Some of my goals now are:
    1. Pay the debts I owe my parents
    2. Start my MBA Program
    3. Save and obtain a PPL (greatest dream)
    4. Start my own online business
    5. Publish my novels
    6. Put a smile on peoples faces everyday by being a blessing to them.
  16. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

@Coolkidhere adopting a dog helped me greatly. Everyone around me told me not to get one, that I wouldn't be able to provide for a dog, that it would be miserable.

Ya, nope, they were completely wrong. I fell in love with a pup, adopted him from the shelter, and he is the best thing that has ever happened to me!
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  17. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

In a general sense, my goal is to be an overall good person. Someone my parents, siblings, relative, friends and my Maker can be proud of. I want to live a meaningful and adventurous life without regrets. My immediate, more specific future goal is to create stories that inspire people and become an accomplished writer.
  18. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

My goal for this year is to find another job and for me to get some health insurance this year. I have Obamacare right now and my doctors have been surprisingly good and amazing. I never got this type of comprehensive care when I had some paid insurance under my parent's plan, but I don't have any vision insurance and my dental is pretty weak. I don't want to pay thousands for a root canal.
  19. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

This is a great idea. I've been so caught up, I have not given any real thought to where I want to be in my life. Hell, I just decided I want to be sober one day. Maybe setting some goals will help me put things into perspective.
  20. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I don't really have a goal. I'm just the kind of person that lives one day at a time. I don't really plan and I think I'm just fine where I am right now.

Perhaps I'll sleep on it, maybe tomorrow when I wake up, I'll have something to aim for.