An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Your pet could help

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by fliktor7, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

The perfect combination is both a cat and a dog. When a cat is in the loving mood nothing can be compared to it. When they ignore you and do they own thing, the a dog is faithful until death.I am speaking from experience. Not as an addict, but as someone who has be lifted up by my pets. My pets saved me I think. My pets are like medicine. They provide you with great therapy.

I say go for it if your circumstances allow and you won't be disappointed. Just remember to be as good to them as they are to you.
    JulianWilliams likes this.
  2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Yeah, no point in having a pet if it's not to treat is adequately, but if we are leaving the addiction we will thank any times that it's occupied with a good activity.
  3. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

Thank your for the great reply. I've never thought of using them as a combination. Personally, I've never found cats to ever be very loving, but then again I haven't really spend a lot of time around them either. I suppose it's worth giving it a shot.
  4. Winterybella

Once your circumstances allow for it, give it a go. What I have learned is that not every cat is going to respond the same way as with dogs. Sometimes when I hear stories about problem cats, I think I probably found the best. It could be that or it might be that he came into myself at the right time. About getting another cat now mine has left me, someone told me I will know when I have found the right one. I will tell you the same thing. The right one will find you and I pray it's the loving kind. It seems that most still want their freedom.

If it's loads of love and attention you want then your better bet will be a dog. Sometimes it feels like there are the manufacturers of love and attention. Whatever you decide, remember they need similar love and lots of attention. It''s like a reciprocal agreement.
  5. Gelsemium

Yes, a dog it's the best choice if we have the time for it, but if we prefer just a pet to be there and don't give too much work a cat is the best choice.
  6. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

Thanks for your excellent contributions. You are really helpful. I'm guessing it's better to buy both a cat and a dog at the same time, both as babies to give them time to get used to each other and not be at each other's throats as cats and dogs usually are.
  7. daregicide

daregicide Member

I agree that having a pet such as a cat or dog could help you in many ways. Many people start doing drugs because they fall into feelings of depression and loneliness. I always feel happy when my cats give me company.
  8. 003

003 Community Champion

Yes, pets and kids really do help to make you feel that your a good man. They are really the ones from with whom you could build your strength and gain inspiration. As for me, it's my young cousins. When I'm feeling down, I invite them over in the house to have a movie and dinner. And just to see them having fun already makes me strong and motivated. It feels like after all, there are still great things, I could draw my attention on and live a life with intense passion and commitment, and not to be pulled back to my old bad self.
  9. Winterybella

You're welcome, but here is the thing. I feel you need this bit of background information. I was totally "cat ignorant" when my son brought this kitten he found on the highway. I just wanted to hide it from my husband until we found a home for it. I was not a cat person. Meanwhile, I have my two indoor dogs and I am thinking these are just not going to get along.

Every time I had taken my dogs walking, they would bark and try to attack any cat they saw on streets. I was completely floored when I realized that my dogs, like me, had nothing but love and affection for my kitten. I would soon end up calling them cousins.

Just a word of caution. Dogs love cat poop. Yes. Sorry I had to "break" it to you now but there are ways around that:). I can laugh now but I wasn't laughing then. I am not going to get tired of telling you this. Make should you have the time and energy to invest in them. They are real sweethearts and "therapist" but they require care and attention. See how this link helps you with answering some of questions JulianWilliams.

http://buttehumane.org/page/introducing-dogs-and-cats.php
  10. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I do think that animals can help reduce your stress levels and help you in times when you just feel like using because you are so stressed out. Drugs are a negative way of coping and taking time with your pets is a positive way to deal.
  11. ryan0039

ryan0039 Active Contributor

I have 5 cats and among them are my two best friends. I'm very close with the one cat that is 'mine' and the alpha cat, the others are still very sweet but I have a good relationship with those two and they absolutely know when I'm sad and will come sleep with me. Animals are one of my favorite things in this world.
  12. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I really do believe that pets can help, as they help with a lot of things. I think that sobering up can have you feeling really lonely and a pet can really help you feel a lot less lonely. Taking care of pets can also take up a lot of time that you would have probably spent doing other things.
  13. Gelsemium

That is the main reason why we should get a pet, habit changing means loneliness and that can only be fought with a non-demanding relationship, like a pet.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

My dog does give me love and a sense that I am not alone in this world. He is my true friend that doesn't expect anything but his daily meal. I don't think I can live the same life without him.
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I totally agree with this one. Having a pet could be a great help for your recovery. It could boost your self-esteem and your sense of responsibility. A pet is sometimes a much better companion too than a human.
  16. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Taking responsibility for another living being can definitely be helpful. They depend on you, and in return you have loving company who won’t judge you on your past. If circumstances allow, I think pets are a great aid to recovery.
  17. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

My pets mean everything to me. They are my fmaily members too. I feel so much love when I'm with them. It is a source of inspriation and I wouldn't be able to do this without them.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes I agree. The puppy dog here has done more for me than anybody has in years. The little ray of sunshine. He needed attention. Needed some comfort in the middle of the night when he was small. Walking and playing. Taking care of him. Watching him be curious about everything. It makes you feel good to know someone needs you, even if it is a dog. People are often too proud to seem like they need another. We are suppose to need each other and enjoy each others company. Its a little more complicated with people. But yes the doggies are good therapy.
  19. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

This is absolutely true that a pet can be a man best friend. Whatever mood you might have your pet is always there to respond to you and will always be there to show to you their affection in their own special way. And if a person is recovering from addiction getting close to a pet is a great way to be free from stress. Although a pet cannot communicate with human but their presence will surely make someone happy and a pet can really help someone to have fun and to see the brighter side of their life.
  20. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think my pets do help my mood, but I got my pets after I'd already been away from alcohol for a few years. I think for me the thing was that I needed to focus on myself for a while and I don't know that I would have been the best pet owner then! But now, my pets bring me a lot of happiness and they're always so happy to see me - which makes me feel great!