An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Your pet could help

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by fliktor7, Jan 11, 2015.

1. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Pets are an amazing companion I have to agree!
    Cats tend to be much easier to handle you are correct.
    I find dog people have to spend a lot of time and attention to their dogs.
  2. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I think this is great and I can definitely relate. I never had any sort of addiction but I did have a very stressful life where I only slept a few hours every week, I was always on the verge of throwing my phone at the wall and I wanted to end my life. My cat, Fred, ( Yes, he looked like a Fred so I called him that ) would always come to my bed and sleep with me while I watched t.v. He would always be there for me and here I am typing this while he sits on the chair next to me, purring, quietly observing, enjoying his life.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I agree on that. There were times that we usually need just someone to be beside with and listen to you and pets were great for that. :)
    Specially dogs that were known and proven to be great companions. It is most probably true for the pet lovers.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Yes, pets are quite helpful when recovering from addiction, because they can divert the person from their vices since they would be focused on the welfare of their pet and the responsibilities that come with it. They also love unconditionally too, and I think that's what every addict needs.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  5. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Your pets can help you stay sober and sane only if you love animals. To benefit from pets you need ti love animal first. You also need to understand how the animals communicate. If you don't understand what your cat is saying by rubbing his dead on your legs, you will not benefit from pet therapy.
  6. achexx84

achexx84 Active Contributor

My savior was my little old cat named Pounce. When I was drinking heavily, she refused to be anywhere near me. We had been best friends since she was 8 weeks old, and it broke my heart that my addiction to alcohol has upset her so badly that she won't come near me. She started to spend more time with my roommates, and would actually fight me off when I held her, where as when I was sober, I could carry her like a baby for hours.

This particular night made everything click. I was so completely wasted and feeling suicidal. I drove up to this ledge on a mountain in California near my old home. I was going to drive off and not think twice and then all of a sudden, I thought "What will Pounce do? How can I let her down? She needs me. After 7 years together, I can't bail on her now." So I sat and cried in a random parking lot for a few hours and called my friend to come and pick me up. I haven't touched a drop since.

Silly that most people in my life couldn't force me to stop, but a little, 4 pound, gray and white tabby who I loved so much was what saved my life. She passed away last year at the age of 17 and although my heart broke, my will has not, and I have been sober ever since. Going on 10 years :)
  7. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Pets are awesome. They're loving, intensely loyal, and a joy to be around. I really love it when I come home and they're there waiting, and they would jump around when they see me. It feels good to be loved.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Pets provide a lot of comfort and if you are looking to stay sober, I think these furry companions are some of the best ways to fill up the emptiness that might be inside. I think they are some of the best friends you will have in your life, and can be there to ease the dark times.
  9. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I've definitely learned to appreciate the company of a loving animal in times of loneliness and hardship, but I also would caution against becoming dependant on the animal to salve emotional wounds that it is incapable of healing.