An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Your Thoughts On Using Sedatives To Fight Addictions?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

A number of people, especially those who can't sleep well, will find it hard to resist the temptation to use drugs especially if they think they might help them sleep.

Many alcoholics for example know that alcohol does help people fall asleep faster. Would such a person benefit from using prescriptions meds such as Ambien for a little while or would this cause more problems should they get addicted?
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

To be honest I think if someone as an addictive personality then they will do more harm than good. Really all they will be doing is replacing one addiction with another, so while they might get to sleep better, all they are doing is relying on something, just like they was before
    deanokat likes this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

The only way I think this could work is if it's done under the close supervision of a doctor who specializes in addiction medicine. Otherwise, it has disaster written all over it.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

If the person doesn't have an addictive personality, then I think that it can work. Otherwise, it will just cause a lot of problems on top of the other once the person gets addicted to it, even if it's under the supervision of a doctor.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Have to agree with @deanokat - if it wasn't extremely closely monitored by a medical professional then I think it can really just be like replacing one problem with another. I would be a little wary of it, personally.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I think this is a problem. It's like attempting to counteract the effects of one drug with a different drug which I cannot see as a logical solution. Replacing one drug with another is kind of futile in my opinion, especially if the person already has a problem with substance abuse.
  7. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Honestly, I have seen people do this and it does not work. They just become addicted to the sedatives. The only way to get rid of an addiction is to get help. You have to stop acting like the Lone Range. Help is what you need. There are people who are trained to help you.
    amin021023 and Sparkster like this.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Sleeping pills. Well, to each his own, but I say no. Tough it out. Eventually you sleep. There are plenty of strong natural sleep aids. An herbal combination bomb can do the trick and you won't be left with side effects. Eat some bananas for God's sake. Lol throw some calcium in there. Eat some turkey or drink some milk. Potatoes, pasta the carb of choice. Foods can put you to sleep. What the hell is with everybody and always wanting pills? A hot bath or shower. Drink a ton of water during the day.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, like what other posters have said, if this is supervised by a doctor, then I guess it's just fine to use these meds. But if not, I don't think it's going to work well for that person. He/she is just going to replace one addiction with another, and it would be an ugly cycle.
  10. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

As mentioned in the above posts, It's not going to work. but I think taking some sleeping pills the in the first few nights isn't going to be that harmful.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I have terrible insomnia and I've been prescribed Zopiclone for many years now. I have a "three-night rule" in place. I'll only resort to the pills if I've had three nights of under 2 hours sleep. I'll take one on the fourth night and find that this usually provides a good-enough sleep to get back into a regular pattern for a while.

So for me, they are very useful but they do need to be used sparingly. Apart from anything else, they are very effective and I'd hate to be at that stage of tolerance that they don't work anymore.
  12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I would say have yourself checked out to see if you have a physical problem that prevents sleep. Doing some type of mediation to help quiet the mind might help as well. I know some people like to sleep to some music before bed. If you think a prescription drug will make things worse you can try non drug ways as well.