An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Your 'Why'

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by angelicagapit, Jan 16, 2015.

1. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

What is your 'why'?

If you guys are wondering what exactly a 'why' is, it's basically what keeps you alive.

Why do you get up in the morning?
    Why keeps you moving?
    What is the important reason why you continue to hold on to life?

For me, my 'why' is my loved ones. They are why I get up in the morning. I want to make them proud by being the best person I can be. I want to be successful enough to have them respect who I am as a person and how much I can do to move the world in some way.

What is your 'why'?
  2. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

My why is my personal relationship with God. I believe that whatever we have here on earth will not really matter at all in the afterlife. So you do things for God's glory and to please Him. Though I can honestly say that at times when tricky situations come, like gossiping and personality lambasting in the office, I take part in it. Then I remember that I have to exude a personality that will show God's goodness. There are people who seem to provoke you to do bad. So I focus more on those who inspire me to do good. Their innate compassion and tendency to be kind to others even the mean ones really encourage me to be like them. I guess they are my reasons as well to walk towards my goal.

My family too help me to live life in depth yet enjoyable way. But I also draw strength from my character, my beliefs because I need it to guide my kids in doing the right things. So I guess our whys should be diverse and you just pick bits and pieces of inspiring reasons as you go along in life to continuously improve as a person.
    Zyni and morganmar33 like this.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'm a bit down right now so my "why" is currently the will to stay alive. I can't shake this bad feeling off right now, but at the same time, I refuse to curl up and die. There has to be something better coming soon and this is the reason I force myself to get out of bed in the mornings.
  4. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

I guess my "why" is my existence.
    I need to know what I am in the earth for. I think that everyone here is born for a purpose, something for the greater good. I just need to figure it out.
    This is what keeps me going on.
    morganmar33 likes this.
  5. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

My "true" why is not logically explainable, because it is beyond rational thinking. As for my social "why" I get up in the morning, is that I simply can't stay asleep forever, I get hungry and thirsty, I need to use the restroom, take a shower, and simply be me in this universe. Then the reason "why" I even bother to continue doing every other activity in life I had done and will continue to do is this: curiosity. I liken it to Martin Heidegger's "Time and Being" concept of 'throwness' or 'thrown in this world,' because all of us were simply born without a choice into this cosmic wonder called the multi-verses, and this fact alone inspires me to know what life and death is all about but mostly to express myself to my fullest potentials!
  6. morganmar33

morganmar33 Member

I'm sorry you are going through a tough time right now. I'm not sure what is causing you to feel this way, but I am more than willing to talk to you. If there is anything I can do to help you, I surely will. If you don't want to talk about it I understand. I said a prayer for you. I wish you better days ahead.
    Zyni likes this.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

My "why" is to do the little I can to leave the world a better place than I found it. I've interacted and lived with people who almost made lose faith in humanity but a few others I've met along the way have me convinced that for the few [that I haven't met yet] who can learn something then I'm willing to share [with them] whatever knowledge I've gained. Knowledge that will help them live better lives. Lives that will probably have a positive impact on others. Others who will also . . .

. . . all I need to do is set off that chain reaction.
  8. bluzkluz09

bluzkluz09 Active Contributor

I find myself asking these questions. A part of the reason I have to get up is to work. If I don't work can't pay the bills. If I don't pay the bills I won't have electricity, water, or food. So then I then ask do I really need these things. Then I say you better get out of bed because at least if you don't you'll need to use the bathroom and would like to have water to deal with all that. Some days it's no enough and my why becomes the others in my household. I need to be able to help them in whatever they are doing. I like to help others so someday I exist to help by making dinner or even just by listening how their day went.
  9. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

My why I get out of bed is because I believe that things will be better than they were yesterday. I believe that I shall make it in life as long as I am positive. I believe in God and the fact that He can change matters in the blink of an eye. I have hope that no matter what happens in the day, I will be able to overcome it. I also believe in the mercy of God that he cannot put too much trouble on my shoulders that I cannot be able to handle.
    Zyni likes this.
  10. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

My Why is for a better tomorrow and to keep myself on a path where I want to go. It's hard to start a journey but once you do, it's all progress from there on.
  11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

It's good to always ask ourselves that question every morning, especially when we feel down or we don't feel like we have a special purpose in this world. Realizing that there are so many aspects in which we live for should be enough to keep us going, no matter what the day presents as challenges. Also, being able to answer these 'why's' should make us even more thankful to our creator for giving us yet another day to live.
  12. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I get up in the morning and go to lectures hoping that one day I might find a good job and provide for my family. The thought of one day being able to earn a living and support your offspring is the thing that drives most of the conscientious people forward. It's what makes them want to keep pushing forward and never give up until they've accomplished their goal.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

My "Why" is definitely my family. They are one of the reasons why I have survived 22 years of existence here on earth. They are the reasons why I work hard everyday because I want them to be proud of me.

Also, my real great "Why" is God. I know this sounds like a cheesy cliché, but I believe everyone has a purpose in life, and I know it's not just a mere accident/coincident why I am here on earth. God has plans for every individual, and I'm absolutely ready to find out what he has in store for me. :)
    Megan S and Zyni like this.
  14. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

My "Why" would probably be my "life" why I get up in the morning to face the beauty and the realities of life God had given to me. And all goes well into places that I want to live my life worthy for my family, love ones and friends who makes my life meaningful in this world. We only live once in this world and I want to leave my life a legacy of being a good person who had fears in God and who is always a blessing to other people.
  15. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

I'd surely say my WHY is God! He is in control of our life. We should always remember to thank him always for the gift of today. God gives us unlimited chances to change our past mistakes and gives us the freedom to set our lives straight. Guiding us through our life's challenging moments.
    Megan S and Zyni like this.
  16. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I hope that the better you were anticipating came. Sometimes, when I am at my lowest and feel like escaping it all, I stop and think about my son who I want to set a fine example for. Depending on how you look at it he's my "why". Still I tell myself that my "why" should also be about me.

In my conversations with God, I have to confess that recently I have been asking quite a few "whys".
    missbishi likes this.
  17. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

They whys in my life include my family, friends, individuals who need encouraging words and support to be able to move on, and of course, Him up there. The need to do something that will one way or another contribute to the betterment of this world is my "why" for existing even if at times I feel like the odds are against me. As long as I have those who matter behind me and as long as I keep my dreams burning, I would defy this world and carve my own place here.
  18. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Thank you, I do appreciate that!

Things are looking up slightly, we were able to view the solar eclipse in my country this morning and it made a great start to the day. The spring flowers have started to bloom too so the world is starting to get a bit more colorful.
    Zyni likes this.
  19. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am happy to hear things are looking up. Up even in small increments is still something to feel good about. Spring and blooming flowers sound like a good "why". I wish I could send you some sunshine from my country. I like to tell myself "the sun will come out tomorrow" and often it does. Hang tough.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  20. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

My young son gave me a short list a long time ago of the people who if they died he would want to hang himself because he wouldn't know what to do. I was on that list. That is all the "why" that I need!