An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

You're an overcomer!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kassie1234, Oct 1, 2015.

1. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't listen to Christian radio a lot, but this particular song was playing in a friends car. I couldn't help but listen to the lyrics because it just sounded so motivational...

You're an overcomer
    Stay in the fight ‘til the final round
    You're not going under
    ‘Cause God is holding you right now
    You might be down for a moment
    Feeling like it's hopeless
    That's when He reminds You
    That you're an overcomer
    You're an overcomer

I know it's not necessarily going to be everyone's cup of tea (I completely understand that not everyone is religious - that's 100% okay!) but I do think that there's still a useful message in there. I'm sure we've all had times where we did feel down for a moment and did feel like it was hopeless - I know I was there! But then I did overcome the challenges on the road to sobriety and sober life is way better than I could have ever imagined.
    Rainman likes this.
  2. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I've heard that song many times. It's very uplifting and good. I always find myself singing along. Thanks for sharing with everyone.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not heard that song but just reading the lyrics you provided, it sounds like a really nice song. Motivational songs are good songs for those who need inspiration and in recovery. Specially for those who are music lovers.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I love Christian songs so much. I am not that religious who follows every norm and tradition of the church, but I am highly spiritual and I have a personal relationship with God. Anyway, yes, those lyrics are really motivational. Thanks for sharing this one to us here. :)
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Sometimes there will a particular song that speaks to you. Its as though that song was written for you and your situation. I have found many songs like that though the years which have gotten me through many a difficult times. Christian music tends to be uplifting and they give you hope. I have never heard that song but I am going to look it up and listen to it!
  6. kassie1234

I agree - I'm not as religious as some of my friends but I do really enjoy Christian music since the messages are always positive and you're right, they're just uplifting and hope giving. I hope you like the song too - it's really catchy as well as having the great message too!
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree with you that it is such a nice inspirational song that recoving addicts can draw inspiration from. They can use that song in their "recovery playlist", Christian or not!
  8. kassie1234

Love that idea of having a recovery playlist! Music really impacts my mood and I think when I listen to positive stuff it has an impact - so it's a wonderful idea to compile a playlist that has songs which are all uplifting like that!
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm not a religious person either but I do think for the people that are, they can take a it of inspiration from their faith.

Even for someone like me who isn't religious can see how songs like this can be empowering for people, and will help people to deal with certain situations.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am not a fan of Christian music either, but those lyrics are very inspiring. We can gain so much from listening to good music because it comes from the heart. People can often describe the way they feel so much better in songs than they can words.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@kassie1234, Yeah, like when people compile a workout playlist, recovering addicts can also compile an inspirational and uplifiting playlist, it might help them during moments of wanting to quit.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  12. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

These words are really inspiring. Words are so powerful, they can make or break you. They can lead you places. They can build you up or put you down. Not everyone really knows or has considered the power of words.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  13. kassie1234

Totally agree - I've had times where words have cut me down or have really lifted me up and made me believe in myself and my abilities more. A lot of people don't realize the sheer impact of the words that come out of their mouths. It makes me more conscious of the fact that I need to be kind to others and always be mindful of what I am saying.
  14. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I would definitely agree that one doesn’t need to be the religious type to appreciate the message behind those lyrics. I’m not, and I do. I’ve felt down and hopeless a number of times in my life, for sure. And I’m sure there will be further bumps in the road. But it’s always worth it to find the fight within you to carry on. If you’d told me five years ago that I’d be doing all the things I’m doing today, I would have laughed in your face. But here I am, and I don’t plan to stop any time soon.
  15. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I LOVE Mandisa and really love this song. It got me through a lot of times I needed to remember that I wasn't who I used to be and that I had the strength to keep fighting and pushing forward.
  16. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I have my own religious songs but I am open minded enough to still embrace lyrics that make sense. I don't think I can find any fault with these lyrics
    "You're an overcomer
    Stay in the fight ‘til the final round
    You're not going under
    ‘Cause God is holding you right now
    You might be down for a moment
    Feeling like it's hopeless
    That's when He reminds You
    That you're an overcomer
    You're an overcomer"

We can all overcome!!!!
  17. kassie1234

So glad you know and love the song! It is one of those songs that really does lift me up. In fact, I think I'm going to put it on now!
    SarahWorksAtHome likes this.
  18. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

This is why more people should listen to religious songs. Lots of them have inspirational messages. There are times when all one needs is an inspirational message and Christian can provide what they need whether they are Christian or not.