An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Zumba Fitness

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by mimsee, Oct 19, 2014.

1. mimsee

mimsee Active Contributor

Hi everyone! One of the most important things to remember when changing your lifestyle and habits is you have to want to make this change permanently. If you plan on just doing it for a while until you feel okay, you are almost destined to fail. Lifestyle changes should be for a lifetime!

With that being said, an important part of keeping your body strong and healthy is exercise. When I was just starting to overcome my addiction, I turned to exercise as an outlet to keep my body and mind tired so that I could get a good night's sleep. That's when I discovered Zumba Fitness.

Zumba Fitness is a type of cardio exercise program that uses dance to help keep your body strong and fit. Doing Zumba while holding small five or ten pound hand weights will give you both a cardio and strength workout!

The cool thing about Zumba is that it uses dance styles and music from all around the world, so you're not just endlessly bouncing to the same lame pop song over and over. There are burlesque, meringue, salsa, and more genres to help keep your body strong.

I am now a certified Zumba instructor and a lot of my clients are people like me, who needed an outlet while battling their addiction. If you want any information on how you can get started with Zumba (most classes are absolutely free and are offered in a ton of gyms around the country) just let me know! I can also share some techniques as well.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Exercise is a great way to stay fit and keep your mind at ease. I would suggest everyone that is recovering to be physical and keep your body and mind on busy and occupied towards positive reinforcements such as exercise.

It's great way to detox and sweat it all out.
  3. mimsee

Yep! Another thing that's great about exercising is that it reinforces good habits like drinking a lot of water. Water is very important for any detox program, in my opinion. I used to tell myself that I was washing away all of my addiction every time I drank water. It helps if you believe it!
  4. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

I never thought of Zumba as being a way to keep sober, but this is an excellent idea. I think if you feel stronger physically, it can help you feel stronger mentally. It helps you to have the power to say no to addiction. Sweating helps to get impurities out of the body. So, since Zumba causes you to sweat a lot, it helps you purge impurities out of the body, like drugs and alcohol. Getting in to some type of fitness program can be beneficial to anyone battling addiction.
  5. mimsee

Absolutely :) it's even better if you pair Zumba with meditation. It's easier to get into a meditative state when your body is tired, so I always try to meditate for at least half an hour after I Zumba and before I shower. It will rejuvenate the mind and get you ready for the rest of your day.
  6. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Oh that's why my uncle who used to be a heavy drinker often lifts weights. And he is in his 70's! A cousin who also drank more than he could handle at times is into some physical sports. I thought of this at first as diversion. I didn't know physical exercise helps one stay sober. They did not seek help by the way. But like in the case of my uncle he decided to stop on his own when he started feeling ill. But he has not totally stopped. He has just lessened his alcohol intake such that he does not get drunk anymore.
  7. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

Zumba! oh how I love Zumba! one solid hour of "dancing" to "workout" music is sure to allow you to feel like you lose some pounds. My first Zumba class was a stress on me, I stopped during the segment like twice, lol, I just couldn't keep up, it was so intense! However, I've stepped up my workout routine and I believe that I can do a full hour of Zumba and more now.
  8. sarahxalex

sarahxalex Member

Zumba has to be one of the greatest things to ever be created. I absolutely love it. Not only does it fulfill your dance craving, it gives you a good workout and a good nights sleep, now that's a sleeping pill. The music is always great and makes you want to naturally move to it.

I too used zumba to overcome my dependency on marijuana and it was very effective. I would come so exhausted that all I wanted to do is take a hot shower and go soundly to sleep. It also makes you feel great about yourself and your body. Now what drug can get you in shape, make you feel great, and give you a good nights rest? Not any that I know of.

The key to success is mind over matter. You have to have willpower and anything is possible.
  9. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

Exercise is a good way to reduce stress. If a person gets stressed it could cause them to relapse so channeling that energy into exercise could be very beneficial. This is excellent.
  10. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Running, walking, swimming, or zumba, whatever the case may be, any and all exercise is a good thing for a clean and healthy life. You can pick and chose whatever you want that fits in your lifestyle. It will help you get through the rough patches in your life.
  11. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

Zumba is a great way to keep your mind occupied and keep fit.

I think coming off anything can be hard and it always helps to have something that you enjoy doing and it also keeps your mind off the hard times too, not to mention how good Zumba actually is for the body. So if you look at it that way, you get to get fit and have a great body and come off the substance at the same time, that is win win in my book!
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Zumba is actually a very popular dance exercise here in my country, Philippines. It just doesn't help you become more fit and healthy, it somehow boosts your mood and energy as well.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I did a Zumba class once - but I'm so uncoordinated when it comes to dance moves, and kind of introverted that I felt a bit goofy doing it. I prefer to do classes that don't really require dancing or having to remember a particular sequence of steps.

I do definitely believe in the benefits of exercise though and I work out regularly in different ways. I figure anything that gets the heart pumping, and the endorphins flowing is good exercise!
  14. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I really want to try Zumba classes. Dancing is the only thing I miss from my old party-girl lifestyle so I think this would be a good way to work it back in. I’m still kind of getting used to my new schedule, but I’m going to look into it when I have a little bit of free time.
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I have watched a few Zumba videos on Youtube and they look easy to learn. I prefer jogging when I want to lose weight, but I won't mind trying out Zumba too.